MILD COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
My elderly Mum (88) has recently been diagnosed with 'mild cognitive impairment', and I understand this can be an early sign of dementia/Alzheimer's within a few years. Mum is a widow living alone in a bungalow with her only known living relatives being myself as her next of kin, my married daughter up in London who doesn't drive, and a male cousin living in Yorkshire whose wife is seriously ill so he's not in apposition to help at all.

Daughter Emma and I have thought that Mum's memory has been bad for a good few years now, but she's only very recently been given this official diagnosis. Do you have any advice on how I can help Mum cope with her diagnosis and condition? She lives an hour's drive away from me.

Mum doesn't currently have LPA set up but agrees this is necessary , and will be contacting her solicitor to arrange the paperwork. The solicitor will have the power of attorney.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I would try to persuade your mum to have you as POA. Having a solicitor in charge of her money will make things very complicated. (And he/she is under no obligation to discuss anything with you.)

Just my opinion...

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A diagnosis of MCI doesn't necessarily mean that your mother will end up with Alzheimer's which is good to remember. However, while she is in her present condition it would be a good idea to get powers of attorney, wills and anything else done while she has capacity. She is quite elderly and the risks of someone at her age developing some form of dementia is greatly increased.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I would try to persuade your mum to have you as POA. Having a solicitor in charge of her money will make things very complicated. (And he/she is under no obligation to discuss anything with you.)

Just my opinion...

I agree with this, and you can always pay the solicitor to do the work from her funds with you approving, but it enables you to retain control about decision making. Otherwise it can end in arguments when you think mum needs new clothes and the solicitor doesn't.

Make sure you get the Health and Welfare one done as well as the legal and financial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kare143