Men and housework

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
I do all the cooking, everything else to keep the house functioning for my wife and myself, but I am starting to wonder about my ability to keep the house tidy. I would hate anyone to see my kitchen.
It would embarrass me. It's hygienic but a complete mess. I have tried all methods, all plans but none work. To cook meals creates mess and I cannot control it. Any suggestions?

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
I feel for you. House a complete mess. Just don't have time with dementia victim with two other chronic conditions in the house. Let it go.
If you can, try decent ready meals that are nutrition counted. M&S do quality meals 3 for 9.00, and meals for two 5.00 plus, which you can freeze, annd they last well beyond Best Before date anyway. They also Price Lock a lot of basic items such as cereal, beans, rice which can be as cheap as or cheaper than other retailers. Saves on pots and pans and washing up. Other supermarkets, other brands are available.
Would it be possible to have a cleaner an hour r two a week for general vacuuming etc., leaving you to concentrate on the kitchen?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My house is the same. I just dont have time for housework.
My solution is a Home Help from Age UK who comes in once a week when she cleans and I tidy, but any other cleaner would probably work too

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I admit to being a tidy freak and kept on top of everything by putting things away as soon as they had been used.

My eyesight is poor and I wouldn`t have managed in a clutter.

windyhill

Dec 9, 2023
I also do all the cooking and cleaning (?). This on its own is is quite pleasurable but my wife adds to the difficulty by continually rearranging things in the kitchen. She has a penchant for moving cutlery and crockery to all areas around the house where she continually finds new hiding places where she must think that she is making everything neat and tidy. She has no memory outside of 10 seconds so she swears that she never touches anything. She also gets upset when I do things like using the washing machine, vacuuming, making bread thinking that these are her jobs and she has a tendency to switch them off mid operation. However she is not capable of doing them but won't admit it or doesn't realise it.
She insisted that she help put a new duvet cover on the duvet this morning - try that with a dementia person - not a great start to the weekend.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Put the 2 corners (not fastening ends) of the cover one in each hand, turn the cover inside out over your arms then take a corner of the duvet in each hand then she it over.
Usually I do it over the banister at the top of the stairs so gravity helps it fall into place.
That said when I'm on my boat I stand on the roof for the extra height and just make sure the duvet doesn't end up in the canal.
Hope that helps. K

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
I do all the cooking, everything else to keep the house functioning for my wife and myself, but I am starting to wonder about my ability to keep the house tidy. I would hate anyone to see my kitchen.
It would embarrass me. It's hygienic but a complete mess. I have tried all methods, all plans but none work. To cook meals creates mess and I cannot control it. Any suggestions?
I'll do your kitchen if you do my garden.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I also do all the cooking and cleaning (?). This on its own is is quite pleasurable but my wife adds to the difficulty by continually rearranging things in the kitchen. She has a penchant for moving cutlery and crockery to all areas around the house where she continually finds new hiding places where she must think that she is making everything neat and tidy. She has no memory outside of 10 seconds so she swears that she never touches anything. She also gets upset when I do things like using the washing machine, vacuuming, making bread thinking that these are her jobs and she has a tendency to switch them off mid operation. However she is not capable of doing them but won't admit it or doesn't realise it.
She insisted that she help put a new duvet cover on the duvet this morning - try that with a dementia person - not a great start to the weekend.
You will have to look on the bright side of life @windyhill - the fun in searching for and finding things all over the house. That'll keep you busy

A friend of mine said that he had tried dusting, but when he was out, it came back. so he said he's not going to be caught like that again!.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
You will have to look on the bright side of life @windyhill - the fun in searching for and finding things all over the house. That'll keep you busy

A friend of mine said that he had tried dusting, but when he was out, it came back. so he said he's not going to be caught like that again!.
its like painting the forth bridge, no sooner you finish youve got to start again.

Fugs

Feb 16, 2023
@Chris100 , if your kitchen is clean and hygienic then I think that is good enough.
My wife often asks if she can help. But if I say yes, then after a bit of phaffing she will wander off. Absolutely no clue what to do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kymlea 43