1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. balerno

balerno Registered User

Jan 8, 2008
    Edinburgh
    Hi All

New to the forum me.

Can anyone recommend a decent multi-event alarm device for my mum? Not a pill dispenser, just a simple gizmo which I can programme the 4 times my mum takes her pills daily.

It has to be simple - essentially all I want it to do is when the alarm goes off, my mum presses a button to stop the alert - the subsequent events are unaffected by this action and kick-in at the appropriate time.

Realise that this might be a difficult ask; hope the above makes sense, and thanks

2. christine_batch

christine_batch Registered User

Jul 31, 2007
    Buckinghamshire
    Hi balerno,
    There are lots of gadgets around but if you try the Social Worker, Help the Aged, Age Concern.
    I wish you good luck.
    Christine

3. Linda Mc

Linda Mc Registered User

Jul 3, 2005
    Nr Mold
    I know you have said not a pill dispenser but I use the Pivotell and it can be programmed for up to 4 times a day alarm rings then you turn the dispenser upside down get the medication then it stops ringing until next dose is due. We have found it invaluable and were lucky enough to get it free through our local services.

Linda

4. balerno

balerno Registered User

Jan 8, 2008
    Edinburgh
    Thanks to all for replies - the key is simplicity; will research the suggestions.

5. balerno

balerno Registered User

Jan 8, 2008
    Edinburgh
    Update

Thought I'd post an update on what we went for: the Med Reminder PC200. Simple and programmable through a pc - can't be overriden by user - set to 'beep' four time a day forever (or until the battery runs out (about a year). So far working well.
    Cheers

6. Linda Mc

Linda Mc Registered User

Jul 3, 2005
    Nr Mold
    Glad you got sorted.

Funnily enough mine is having a senior moment and they are delivering a new one this afternoon!

Linda x