Loved one with dementia

brendapmg

Jun 17, 2024
Hello everyone,
My 95 old mother has dementia. She was very active until last summer. Having a hard time with sundowning. Wont go to sleep. Was up with her til 6 am. Exhausted. This happens almost nightly. If she is asleep by 1am it is a miracle.

Looking forward to support from this group and giving support.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @brendapmg and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. We are a friendly and helpful community of members with vast experience of dementia. You can ask anything you like, share your story with people who truly understand, and let off steam when you need to. We will listen and do our best to support you.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hello @brendapmg. I can not offer advice as we are just at the testing stage.
I really do feel for you, this must be exhausting.
Just wanted to say hello and welcome and I am sure that you will find some great support here - I know that I have x

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Hello everyone,
My 95 old mother has dementia. She was very active until last summer. Having a hard time with sundowning. Wont go to sleep. Was up with her til 6 am. Exhausted. This happens almost nightly. If she is asleep by 1am it is a miracle.

Looking forward to support from this group and giving support.
One thing's for certain, you simply can not continue like this. First step should be to speak to her GP to see if her medication can be adjusted. You may also want to consider respite care, book yourself if you have LPA and she's self-funding or if not, speak firmly to social services.