Care Homes Costs

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think if you read the small print it will be for those people that require care after the introduction date ( if it ever gets introduced ) and therefore probably wont apply to people already in the Care Home system. ....that's my guess any way.
It will apply to people in the system for ongoing care but not retrospectively.
At day one everybody should have a local authority care cost which will be update every six months
'Care accounts will be used by local authorities to monitor people’s progress towards the cap. Care account statements will set out both a person’s current rate of progress towards the cap as well as total accrued cost. To ensure people are up to date with their progress towards the cap, care account statements should be sent every 6 months in an electronic format unless an alternative format works better for the individual'

From linked guidance in
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/care-homes-costs.150475/post-2079105 .

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I think if you read the small print it will be for those people that require care after the introduction date ( if it ever gets introduced ) and therefore probably wont apply to people already in the Care Home system. ....that's my guess any way.
Yes @Rayreadynow thats the gist of it. There will be no back payments of backdated care.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Yes - free for all at the point of need
Over the years in England costs have been applied for most people on:
Prescriptions
Optical
Podiatry
Hearing
Cosmetic - mole removal etc

The costs are increased annually and exemptions are changed, over 60s free prescriptions recently nearly went to pensionable age free prescriptions.
But do you notice that it is disproportionately slanted against the elderly. More and more services withdrawn or charged for. Access often made difficult patricular when people no longer drive. My diabetic retinopathy appt each year feels like I am on a magical mystery tour of Surrey

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
But do you notice that it is disproportionately slanted against the elderly. More and more services withdrawn or charged for. Access often made difficult patricular when people no longer drive. My diabetic retinopathy appt each year feels like I am on a magical mystery tour of Surrey
As I recall the memory clinic isn’t that easy to find either.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I intend to spend my latter days in a fleet of mobile homes which count as chattels 🤣🤣🤣I shall time it right so no suspicion of deprivation of assets.

my dementia journey has shown what contempt this country shows to those who are both old and disabled. You don’t matter or do we who care for them.

i know it’s easier to say the grass is greener but at least in other countries and cultures they respect the elderly. I’ve been disgusted that mum has been treated by services as if she has no worth or value. 😭😭