Lewy bodie

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Omg, my lovely stepdad, who looks much younger than his 77 years, is still in his nursing home. Staff are lovely and I mean lovely. He is in an EMI home and the abuse that these lovely staff receive every single minute of their working hour is unbelievable. I am lucky these are all staff who have worked there for a large number of years and they care for their patients. My stepdad lived in an immaculate house before his illness and I feel so guilty. Why, the careers are fantastic, they feed, clothe, and really care for their patients. He is very hard work and the staff deserve a medal, but it still destroys me every time I go to visit. My mum died early from cancer and I promised her I would look after my stepdad. He has been a big part of my family, Xmas, Easter spent at my home, we have been very close. I visit twice a week, an hours drive away, but my god I feel guilty. What a terrible illness this is. Was there today, as I am every Saturday, and I just feel awful. I work full time, I have to ask myself could I do more?? How does anybody else overcome the guilt? he is a well loved grandad.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hello purdy :)

I am sorry that you are having these problems. It sounds to me as if you are doing all you can. Visiting twice a week, an hour away, is a lot when you work full time. And you have the added sadness of having lost your mum to cancer :(

Is there anyone else who could visit as well? If that would help your stepdad?

I'm sorry I don't have personal experience of your problem, as my mum still lives in her own home, but I do know that horrible feeling of guilt. I am always asking myself what more I can do.....and usually not coming up with much, but still feeling bad! :(

I hope you have support and understanding from friends / family.

Sending you (((hugs)))

Lindy xx

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Your step dad

Just wanted to say how sorry I am how you're feeling. I can't help I'm racked with guilt myself. More experienced members will have good advice.;)

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi, yes my sister also visits regularly, and husband and brother in law plus kids when they are home from uni etc. I just feel so guilty if I don't go as I promised Mum I would look after him. Don't get me wrong I don't mind going but can not bring myself to miss one week. Sometimes I go and he is just asleep so he does not know if I have been!! What an awful life for him, after being so able and enjoying his retirement. Sorry I am just having a moan but sometimes it feels good to moan!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77