1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Guzelle

Guzelle Registered User

Aug 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    OH has started to lean forward, he is not walking aswell either seeming a lot more unsteady. He sleeps a lot more and sits with his eyes closed a lot of the day. He no longer watches much TV or reads the paper. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this another stage?

2. chippiebites

chippiebites Registered User

Jun 27, 2018
    Female
    My Husband has started to do that, although he tends to lean to one side, not always forward. He is in a wheelchair, can't walk at all. Hubby doesn't watch TV, read, barely talks and sleeps 20 hours a day. I think if I didn't wake him up to fed him he would sleep for ever! So yes another stage.

3. Vic10

Vic10 Registered User

Feb 18, 2017
    Yes, Guzelle, your post could have described my OH. He no longer watches tv or reads the paper.
    I have no answers, just live with lots of silence. So, yes, I guess another stage.
    Look after yourself.

4. lis66

lis66 Registered User

Aug 7, 2015
    My mother also has started to lean forward ,and is more unsteady on her feet,and is sleeping a lot more now .

5. Andrew_McP

Andrew_McP Registered User

Mar 2, 2016
    Male
    South Northwest
    It's been a very long time since my mother was interested in TV or reading, so she may not be at a comparable stage. But in recent months she's started leaning forward, very worryingly at times, when we're out for a walk. It seems to be a sign that I've misread her energy levels and she's really tired.

But she's been holding my hand a lot more recently when we walk (a year ago she used to just try to escape!) and when she's wandering up and down the house, she's bumping into things more often than she used to. So it might be that her balance is starting to fade as creeping decay worsens.

Who knows what's really going on though... we seem to spend half our lives guessing! Beats crying into our gin, I suppose. :)

6. EdgsonW

EdgsonW Registered User

Jan 14, 2018
    Male
    Bath
    It is difficult to say if this is an actual identifiable "stage" in dementia but my Dearest stoops forward and shuffles. I try to exercise her on a flat floor without carpets as she is likely to trip. Positioning herself on a chair and toilet is problematical as she seems to have miscalculated the size of her bum. She dozes lots, can't concentrate on tele now but seems to like the music on lots. I do notice that she still is observant of children and as a teacher I suppose that could be the last thing to go. She had to learn the names of 30 plus schoolchildren by the second day of term so as to keep control. Odd that she now calls me by different names now and not always complementary!!! EdgsonW

7. Guzelle

Guzelle Registered User

Aug 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    He holds my hand when we go out now mainly to steady himself. I have to watch him when crossing roads because he can just walk out in front of a car, he doesn’t see it !

8. pevensey

pevensey Registered User

Feb 14, 2012
    All those symptoms are exactly how my OH is now, but his mobility is nearly zero now, can hardly walk at all, even in doors, he used to love watching his sports on TV but goes to sleep after about 10 mins of watching any TV. He was diagnosed just over 3 years ago but has gone downhill. drastically the last 6 months, it's very difficult now, cant remember the last proper conversation or even a smile.

9. Philbo

Philbo Registered User

Feb 28, 2017
    Male
    Kent
    My wife is exactly the same. Her mobility has declined in the last 4 or 5 months and she shuffles more now. Sitting on the sofa or the loo, she often bends right forward with her head almost on her knees. It can sometimes be difficult to get her to straighten up, especially if she has nodded off.

As she has suffered from quite bad back problems for most of our married life, I am constantly trying to get her to sit up and back, as I don't see how it can be comfortable leaning forward.

She also tends to lean to one side, especially when eating her meals, which means I constantly have to get up and "assist" her upright, as she doesn't respond to verbal instructions.:mad: