Leaning forward

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
OH has started to lean forward, he is not walking aswell either seeming a lot more unsteady. He sleeps a lot more and sits with his eyes closed a lot of the day. He no longer watches much TV or reads the paper. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this another stage?

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
My Husband has started to do that, although he tends to lean to one side, not always forward. He is in a wheelchair, can't walk at all. Hubby doesn't watch TV, read, barely talks and sleeps 20 hours a day. I think if I didn't wake him up to fed him he would sleep for ever! So yes another stage.

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Yes, Guzelle, your post could have described my OH. He no longer watches tv or reads the paper.
I have no answers, just live with lots of silence. So, yes, I guess another stage.
Look after yourself.

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
My mother also has started to lean forward ,and is more unsteady on her feet,and is sleeping a lot more now .

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
It's been a very long time since my mother was interested in TV or reading, so she may not be at a comparable stage. But in recent months she's started leaning forward, very worryingly at times, when we're out for a walk. It seems to be a sign that I've misread her energy levels and she's really tired.

But she's been holding my hand a lot more recently when we walk (a year ago she used to just try to escape!) and when she's wandering up and down the house, she's bumping into things more often than she used to. So it might be that her balance is starting to fade as creeping decay worsens.

Who knows what's really going on though... we seem to spend half our lives guessing! Beats crying into our gin, I suppose. :)

EdgsonW

Jan 14, 2018
Bath
OH has started to lean forward, he is not walking aswell either seeming a lot more unsteady. He sleeps a lot more and sits with his eyes closed a lot of the day. He no longer watches much TV or reads the paper. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this another stage?
It is difficult to say if this is an actual identifiable "stage" in dementia but my Dearest stoops forward and shuffles. I try to exercise her on a flat floor without carpets as she is likely to trip. Positioning herself on a chair and toilet is problematical as she seems to have miscalculated the size of her bum. She dozes lots, can't concentrate on tele now but seems to like the music on lots. I do notice that she still is observant of children and as a teacher I suppose that could be the last thing to go. She had to learn the names of 30 plus schoolchildren by the second day of term so as to keep control. Odd that she now calls me by different names now and not always complementary!!! EdgsonW

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
He holds my hand when we go out now mainly to steady himself. I have to watch him when crossing roads because he can just walk out in front of a car, he doesn’t see it !

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
He holds my hand when we go out now mainly to steady himself. I have to watch him when crossing roads because he can just walk out in front of a car, he doesn’t see it !
All those symptoms are exactly how my OH is now, but his mobility is nearly zero now, can hardly walk at all, even in doors, he used to love watching his sports on TV but goes to sleep after about 10 mins of watching any TV. He was diagnosed just over 3 years ago but has gone downhill. drastically the last 6 months, it's very difficult now, cant remember the last proper conversation or even a smile.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent

My wife is exactly the same. Her mobility has declined in the last 4 or 5 months and she shuffles more now. Sitting on the sofa or the loo, she often bends right forward with her head almost on her knees. It can sometimes be difficult to get her to straighten up, especially if she has nodded off.

As she has suffered from quite bad back problems for most of our married life, I am constantly trying to get her to sit up and back, as I don't see how it can be comfortable leaning forward.

She also tends to lean to one side, especially when eating her meals, which means I constantly have to get up and "assist" her upright, as she doesn't respond to verbal instructions.:mad:

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
My wife is much the same,the leaning forward is getting worse each week.also bumping into things.I can't walk her far at all now as when we stop she just seems to want to fall over forwards. Sitting with her eyes shut as if asleep but opens them at the slightest sound.also looks at tv but really is not taking in what is going on.toilet issues mean she needs assistance on most visits .fairly common for her to go for a pee and not pull her pants down which means I have to try to look out for her going to the loo.talk about 24/7.

slim-jim

Sep 6, 2020
please see my reply lower down

Felixcat1

Feb 23, 2021
I have noticed that my dad who has vascular dementia has started to lean forward when he eats. He has also taken to slurping his food and licking the plate as if he is a young child. He has deteriorated a lot over the past few months. His talking is getting worse and it’s often really difficult to tell what he is saying ?

Limonada

Mar 7, 2023
My father sounds just like yours. A year ago he was walking and conversing in full sentences. I have watched the slow progressive decline in all areas and now he is just as you’ve described your dad, except for occasional clear times. I’m thankful that he is less confrontational and verbally aggressive. At times, he can hardly finish a sentence so he has become much more mellow and quiet. I have no idea what stage this is.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
My husband now leans forward a lot. Some days I feel I never even see his handsome face.
It makes a lot of routine things even more difficult eg using the bathroom, which he needs help with. We have a small bathroom but not tiny - but to take him for a wee, when he is leaning forward like that, his head bumps me and he shouts as if I have hurt him. He is still mobile but definitely getting worse.

ged626red

Jun 10, 2022
Chadderton near Oldham
Hi Guzelle I dont know if your oh responds to music but a charity called Purple Angels will do a free playlist and provide the equipment for you.