It's going to be a long winter

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks Pete.
It's funny how much I rely on these trips out for my social life and on yoga for relaxation. If something happens to make me cancel, not only do I have that crisis to deal with, but the chance of a release is also gone, so double hit. Does that make sense to anybody.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thanks Pete.
It's funny how much I rely on these trips out for my social life and on yoga for relaxation. If something happens to make me cancel, not only do I have that crisis to deal with, but the chance of a release is also gone, so double hit. Does that make sense to anybody.
It makes perfect sense. Seems to happen a lot, doesn't it - it's one of the frustrations that niggles at me quite often.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
What a difference a week makes. Today Christel was happy to go to her club, after a wee protest at getting off her comfy chair. The wind was awful, but she managed to get to the car with a wee struggle. She gave me a very enthusiastic description of a conversation she had with a new member. It sounded like a confabulation, but she had a good day.
I actually managed a nice long walk, with a wee bit of sunshine, round Clifton with the ramblers. There's a few nice people I've made friends with in the group, one also cares for her partner who has serious back troubles. The leader of the group looked after his dad for years, so it's very supportive and a little sad to hear of their troubles.
Of course, there will be no club for two weeks around Christmas, so will have to join the ramblers in the post walk pub gathering after lunch to keep up the contact. I'm making this up as I go along, but beginning to appreciate the group and putting together a plan to survive those couple of weeks.
View attachment 60193
Thank you for reading my ramblings and I hope all is as well with you as can be.
Looks lovely, I have friends who are ramblers and they have a super time. My arthritis stops me walking too far, but I am glad you can enjoy these little happy times amidst everything else.

My little chuckle of the day, and hard not to laugh, was when OH decided it was my night off from the kitchen and decided to make supper - the mash was interesting - it was sort of grey and had bits in - bit puzzling and would not make Masterchef - he had boiled the spuds without peeling them! I ate them, as one does..........

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
It makes perfect sense. Seems to happen a lot, doesn't it - it's one of the frustrations that niggles at me quite often.

Thanks again Pete, I'm moving from a state of getting upset about it easily to one of analysing, accepting and working out how to deal with it. That's only taken me 5 years, and it's always good to know others are learning to cope ( if that's the best word).

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Looks lovely, I have friends who are ramblers and they have a super time. My arthritis stops me walking too far, but I am glad you can enjoy these little happy times amidst everything else.

My little chuckle of the day, and hard not to laugh, was when OH decided it was my night off from the kitchen and decided to make supper - the mash was interesting - it was sort of grey and had bits in - bit puzzling and would not make Masterchef - he had boiled the spuds without peeling them! I ate them, as one does..........

You mean that's not a common mistake, Maryjoan. When I was in a weekend hiking club we used to cook communal meals on Saturday nights and someone did ask me once if it may be better to peel the spuds before boiling for mash. There I was in late 30s and didn't realise it. :eek::D

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
You mean that's not a common mistake, Maryjoan. When I was in a weekend hiking club we used to cook communal meals on Saturday nights and someone did ask me once if it may be better to peel the spuds before boiling for mash. There I was in late 30s and didn't realise it. :eek::D
Ha ha ha perhaps that's the way some people do it then - maybe I have been doing it wrong all along, but I could not really get used to the mucky grey colour! ;) Night night

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH did exactly the same when he last cooked mash. I gave him explicit instructions about which pan to use, how much water to put in, not to forget the salt, how many potatoes, how small to cut them up, how long to boil them, to drain out the water, add a knob of butter and a dash of milk.......... but it didnt occur to me to say that you had to peel the potatoes.
I ate them too

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
just caught up @nae sporran
really glad you both had a good day in your different ways
I really enjoy my 2 sessions a week volunteering at the local family history centre, and am lucky that it won't be closing on my days over the holiday - I need the routine and the interaction, and I am no longer actively providing care for my dad - so I completely understand what you mean
keep on rambling, outdoors and online

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Ha ha @canary When I make mash for dad I put the boiling water in a mug and add the mash before adding the butter. I know it is not satisfactory but dad has chucked all of his saucepans away and it is the best I can do. I have tried all of the instant mashes and sainsbury's own seems to be the best.

Cooking at dads is a bit haphazard but it generally works as we still have a microwave and a kettle.

Christmas is going to be fun.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
just caught up @nae sporran
really glad you both had a good day in your different ways
I really enjoy my 2 sessions a week volunteering at the local family history centre, and am lucky that it won't be closing on my days over the holiday - I need the routine and the interaction, and I am no longer actively providing care for my dad - so I completely understand what you mean
keep on rambling, outdoors and online
That's good if you can carry on your routine over the holidays Shedrech.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
OH did exactly the same when he last cooked mash. I gave him explicit instructions about which pan to use, how much water to put in, not to forget the salt, how many potatoes, how small to cut them up, how long to boil them, to drain out the water, add a knob of butter and a dash of milk.......... but it didnt occur to me to say that you had to peel the potatoes.
I ate them too

Ha ha ha - there is always another just like me!!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Cooking at dads is a bit haphazard but it generally works as we still have a microwave and a kettle.

Christmas is going to be fun.

If I told my wife that the only kitchen equipment we had was a kettle so Christmas breakfast, lunch and dinner would have to be tea and cake she'd be delighted. :D Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind that myself - so we'd both be :D:D

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
If I told my wife that the only kitchen equipment we had was a kettle so Christmas breakfast, lunch and dinner would have to be tea and cake she'd be delighted. :D Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind that myself - so we'd both be :D:D

I think we would end up with cheese on toast and carrot cake if C had the final call. :D

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH was the same, do anything if you mentioned there was cake ( especially a brownie) at the end of it!

SandraKD

Nov 26, 2018
Oh cake! That's always what I get asked for if I'm nipping to the shops, or chocolate

AliceA

May 27, 2016

Reminds me of our children's attempts, they are both good cooks now.
I remarked once on the tough toast and floating tea leaves brough to us in bed. Our eldest looked surprised as she sId you always looked as if you enjoyed it. Actor could be added to my growing CV!
I just hope he washed the potatoes!