It’s been quite a week!

Ali58

Jan 7, 2023
My husband was diagnosed with MCI 16 months ago, he was discharged and I was advised to ask for a re-referral should things deteriorate. In August 2023 I did ask for a re-referral and finally today he was seen again at the memory clinic and diagnosed with Alzheimers. I was obviously devastated for my husband, for us both, but it was somewhat of a relief to finally get the diagnosis I’d long suspected.

Not only that, last week he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. We find out for definite on Friday what treatment method they’re gonna use but have been told to expect surgery followed by radiotherapy. We’ve a long road ahead of us, frightening times.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't know what to say Ali other than hello and welcome to the site.
Had I been in your shoe and my wife with Alzheimer's been diagnosed with cancer, I really don't know what I would have done.
Just here to say good luck to the both of you and stay strong. K

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
So sorry that you have had to wait for so long to get a diagnosis as well as the earlier diagnosis of prostate cancer. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts.

Ali58

Jan 7, 2023
Don't know what to say Ali other than hello and welcome to the site.
Had I been in your shoe and my wife with Alzheimer's been diagnosed with cancer, I really don't know what I would have done.
Just here to say good luck to the both of you and stay strong. K
Thanks so much K, I don’t think it’s really hit home yet, I feel numb rather than anything. It’s good to know I can vent on here, I’m sure it’ll help when things get rough.

Ali58

Jan 7, 2023
So sorry that you have had to wait for so long to get a diagnosis as well as the earlier diagnosis of prostate cancer. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts.
Thank you, much appreciated.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
My oh has a prostate diagnosis and is proceeding with HIFU. Less invasive. He doesn't have az. HIFU is available on the NHS but not suggested by a lot of doctors.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Might be safer to put in high intensity focused ultrasound, the acronym HIFU brings up some...unexpected results, not for the fainthearted shall we say. K (no filter)

Ali58

Jan 7, 2023
My oh has a prostate diagnosis and is proceeding with HIFU. Less invasive. He doesn't have az. HIFU is available on the NHS but not suggested by a lot of doctors.
After researching following the diagnosis I did look into that, not sure it’s available in our Trust, I’ll certainly mention it though on Friday. Thanks.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
After researching following the diagnosis I did look into that, not sure it’s available in our Trust, I’ll certainly mention it though on Friday. Thanks.
If he can travel, he can have it done anywhere

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@backin sorry your OH has Alzheimer’s and prostate cancer.
See what it recommended when you see the consultant on Friday. Is your consultant aware of the Alzheimer’s? It will be important to consider which treatment will be the easiest for him to cope with.
If you need support on this you could join this forum or MacMillan. Both are very support groups just like Dementia Support Forum.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
@backin sorry your OH has Alzheimer’s and prostate cancer.
See what it recommended when you see the consultant on Friday. Is your consultant aware of the Alzheimer’s? It will be important to consider which treatment will be the easiest for him to cope with.
If you need support on this you could join this forum or MacMillan. Both are very support groups just like Dementia Support Forum.
Thanks. Mine doesn't have. Its @Ali58

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980