Is it time for a Care home

Such confusion

Nov 26, 2023
This morning my mom who has mixed vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s kept asking me wher Lilly is ? That is me, her daughter ! I just asked who she thought I was and she said her sister. She asked me this same question numerous times over a five hour period. We lived overseas for 45 years and 25 years ago my dad passed away. This morning she insisted her and my dad lived in this house. Her and I have only lived in this house and the UK for 16 years.
Is it time she goes into a Care home as she is almost 94 and even though I care for her find it physically, emotionally and mentally difficult ? We share a home and she refuses to have Carer’s in when I go out which I have to do for my sanity. She gets Attendance Allowance but she is to far gone to get POA and I can’t afford to pay Carer’s . I’m in a difficult spot .

Pickalily

Apr 21, 2014
I get 20 hrs free sitting service per 3 months, from my local council authority. My husband (91 in May) with vascular dementia hated it but I said tuff and having the same person each time does help and he has got used to it. His attendance allowance pays for carers 5 mornings a week to shower and dress him, Surprisingly he accepted this without question.
Hope this helps a little bit

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It's not up to you to pay. Only her money can be used for her care. Call in Social Services to do a care needs assessment. They will want to do a financial assessment too and as you don't have PoA, it would make sense for you to apply for Deputyship. (You can do it online and recover the cost from your mum's funds.) If you don't do it, SS will, then you'll have no say about anything. You are also entitled to a care needs assessment for you.

As you live with your mum, if she were to move into care and she owns the house, it would need to be sold to fund her care so you need to also consider your own position. If you're over 60 (or disabled) you could apply for a disregard...

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
When you ask the question, you already know the answer and it's yes, very much a yes.
As has been said, contact social services and don't be afraid to tell them what you've said here, eventually carer burnout will kick in, I would say you've done your bit but you've done a lot and more, well done you and thank you on her behalf but it might be better for you both to let go, let someone else help. K

Such confusion

Nov 26, 2023
I get 20 hrs free sitting service per 3 months, from my local council authority. My husband (91 in May) with vascular dementia hated it but I said tuff and having the same person each time does help and he has got used to it. His attendance allowance pays for carers 5 mornings a week to shower and dress him, Surprisingly he accepted this without question.
Hope this helps a little bit
Thanks for your reply. Do you live in the UK ? I hope you say yes as I can then look into this.

Such confusion

Nov 26, 2023
It's not up to you to pay. Only her money can be used for her care. Call in Social Services to do a care needs assessment. They will want to do a financial assessment too and as you don't have PoA, it would make sense for you to apply for Deputyship. (You can do it online and recover the cost from your mum's funds.) If you don't do it, SS will, then you'll have no say about anything. You are also entitled to a care needs assessment for you.

As you live with your mum, if she were to move into care and she owns the house, it would need to be sold to fund her care so you need to also consider your own position. If you're over 60 (or disabled) you could apply for a disregard...
Thanks for your reply. I will definitely need to apply for Deputyship and get the ball rolling. I had a care needs assessment and am due for another in June. Luckily I own the house. Thanks again.

Such confusion

Nov 26, 2023
When you ask the question, you already know the answer and it's yes, very much a yes.
As has been said, contact social services and don't be afraid to tell them what you've said here, eventually carer burnout will kick in, I would say you've done your bit but you've done a lot and more, well done you and thank you on her behalf but it might be better for you both to let go, let someone else help. K
It’s tough but deep down I know it’s time .

Bettysue

Mar 21, 2020
Someone advised me that if you’re asking the question then it is time. And they were right!

JennieAnn

Nov 23, 2023
This morning my mom who has mixed vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s kept asking me wher Lilly is ? That is me, her daughter ! I just asked who she thought I was and she said her sister. She asked me this same question numerous times over a five hour period. We lived overseas for 45 years and 25 years ago my dad passed away. This morning she insisted her and my dad lived in this house. Her and I have only lived in this house and the UK for 16 years.
Is it time she goes into a Care home as she is almost 94 and even though I care for her find it physically, emotionally and mentally difficult ? We share a home and she refuses to have Carer’s in when I go out which I have to do for my sanity. She gets Attendance Allowance but she is to far gone to get POA and I can’t afford to pay Carer’s . I’m in a difficult spot .
So sorry to hear you are going through this. You say she refuses to have carers in whilst you go out, have you had any carers in at all? Would it be possible to have them in whilst you are there a few times to get her used to it? However much we wish to accommodate our loved ones, we also know that their mental abilities cannot always dictate what is best for them or those around them.

Have you spoken to Adult Social Services at all? If not I would strongly advice that you do, they will do a Care Assesment - come to visit you and your mum in your home and establish your Mum's care needs/everything that you are currently doing for her that she is unable to do for herself. Next they will look at her income and outgoings and figure out how much of this they can cover financially. Contacting them will not affect the AA during the process. As far I know it is your Mum's income that is taken into consideration for her care. It might be a split on the house / living costs other than her care.

Who owns the house? Is it in both of your names? Have you had or can you get legal advice?

I was able to get my Dad exempt from paying council tax under SME Severe Mental Impairment, this was also back dated to when he was diagnosed. As your are also in the home I doubt it will be a full exemption but there may well be an option for a discounted payment. Worth a try.

I expect you have tried as much as possible, and I don't want to infer that you haven't. Getting through everything is difficult. Finding additional help for your Mum and for yourself is not admitting defeat or saying that you do not care or love her, but having that help might keep you sane and be able to do more of the loving caring than the practical side. Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akaye23