Mum isn't eating

Tristy

Jun 16, 2024
My mother had an infection a few weeks ago, and since that time has eaten less than 100 cals per day (sometimes none). She is convinced she's having more. She seems to be experiencing revulsion to most foods, even ones she was enjoying a month ago. She's gone from cleaning the house from top to bottom every day to sitting on the sofa in her dressing gown.

She's still living at home with dad and my understanding is she's in the early stages of Alzheimer's, though the recent infection had definitely affected her.

My dad and I have spoken to the doctors several times; they don't seem terribly worried, as she's still well hydrated. I'm not sure if we're overreacting but we're very concerned and don't know what to do. It feels like such a long time.

I'd be very grateful for any pearls of wisdom!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m not surprised you`re concerned @Tristy

All I can suggest is the infection your mum had has had quite a drastic effect on her well being.

Perhaps your dad can be helped by contacting the Admiral Nurses who are there specifically to help and support carers. They might be able to suggest something.

Tristy

Jun 16, 2024
I`m not surprised you`re concerned @Tristy

All I can suggest is the infection your mum had has had quite a drastic effect on her well being.

Perhaps your dad can be helped by contacting the Admiral Nurses who are there specifically to help and support carers. They might be able to suggest something.
Thank you -- worth a try!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
100 calories a day, I'm looking at a tin of baked beans, according to the label half a can (200g serving) is 176 kcal tonight's ready (microwave) meal whichever I choose is about 500kcal, even a bag of (cheese and onion) crisps is 128kcal per bag (25g).
I've just checked the label and half a pint of cider is 110kcal, not recommending as a dietary supplement but that means I'm nearly 10kcal above your mum while I've been posting this. K