Is it Altzheimers?

Katiebear

May 20, 2024
My husband has been showing signs of dementia, I can’t diagnose this but his behaviour has been increasingly erratic.
He is 74 and now retired, through necessity rather than want.
He has always been a hard working man but had been getting more forgetful, then started getting lost if he was in unfamiliar places and then phone me for directions.
He has also had lapses in failing to find a toilet/bathroom when he drives and his bladder takes over and he comes home wet from the waist down.
He has had two memory tests in the past two years the last one only this week and we are waiting for the results. His mum had dementia before she passed on over 20 years ago and it’s always been a thing that worried him he may succumb to one day.
The man I love is changing and I know I can’t prevent it happening and I’m hoping for mental help for me and practical help for him.

TheCoachman

Nov 11, 2023
As an older man with the very common problem of an enlarged prostate - do get this checked by has GP as his incontinence may relate to this and there are treatments.
best wishes
Pete

Katiebear

May 20, 2024
As an older man with the very common problem of an enlarged prostate - do get this checked by has GP as his incontinence may relate to this and there are treatments.
best wishes
Pete
Hello Pete thanks for responding to my first post.
He has had a checks for his prostrate, there doesn’t show any problems with it.
He drives still and sometimes goes out for too long as he forgets the time, resulting in him wetting himself. Unfortunately it happens more frequently now, I was wondering whether it was anything to do with his diabetes (type2). He has been diabetic for 30 plus years and has been controlled with medication.
Only in the past week he has to have insulin medication and this is a new task I fulfill each morning. With his diabetes he has to drink 2/3 litres of water daily as well as his mugs of tea and coffee.
I try to stay positive for him as he gets distressed by new circumstances and a regular routine is important to his wellbeing

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Please be aware that driving on tablets for diabetes and driving as an insulin user is different. You are expected to test your blood sugar for fear of silent hypo.

High sugar levels also can cause increased urination but I suspect you are right he is simply leaving bathroom breaks too long apart.

I think you know your husband well and it’s a matter of the tests ‘catching up’ with what you are seeing.

Sending you some courage

Katiebear

May 20, 2024
Please be aware that driving on tablets for diabetes and driving as an insulin user is different. You are expected to test your blood sugar for fear of silent hypo.

High sugar levels also can cause increased urination but I suspect you are right he is simply leaving bathroom breaks too long apart.

I think you know your husband well and it’s a matter of the tests ‘catching up’ with what you are seeing.

Sending you some courage
Thanks for your input Sue - His diabetes team have made us aware of spikes in his sugar levels and how to reduce them, he is not driving currently and is worried about doing so but I have said if he tries to be smarter about his eating then his sugars will lower to a manageable level and driving should not be a concern.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @Katiebear , have you asked for your husband to be referred to the incontinence team? The NHS can provide free incontinence products fur your husband. My OH was given tena pull-ups as he was sill using the toilet but not always getting there in time and having accidents

Initially I called them his ' just in case ' pants but he started to call them his 'safety pants' He was and still is happy to wear them as he was embarrassed by the accidents.

The prescription can be adjusted if he no longer needs them or requires more help