Invitation to join the study

Htay

Apr 11, 2011
INVITATION TO JOIN THE STUDY

On Health Promoting Behaviours and Coping in family carers of people with dementia

We are recruiting dementia carers for a research study carried out by University College London by postal survey to explore the relationship between coping with care giving and lifestyle behaviours of carers of people with dementia.

The present study’s findings could aid future research in terms of designing interventions that promote health behaviour in caregivers of people with dementia and improve the quality of life for carers and the cared for.

The research is a carer led study and approved by the University of London Research Ethics Committee and the Society’s Research Department is supportive of the study.

For ethnic diversity of participants, we would like to invite 150 family carers from Tower Hamlets, Southwark, Southall, Wandsworth, Hounslow, Hillingdon, Camden, City of London, City of Westminster, and Kensington & Chelsea and your participation in the present study would be much appreciated.

So if you would like to the opportunity to participate, please contact me.
If you decide to take part, I will mail the Consent Form and the Questionnaires. It is anticipate that the questionnaires will take up to twenty five minutes to complete. The Participant Information Sheet is below.

Thank you very much for your time in reading this invitation letter.

I look forward to your participation in the study.

Yours sincerely,

U Hla Htay,
a carer and a member of the Alzheimer’s Society Research Network Volunteers and Research project Co-ordinator.
Tel: 020 7723 2186/07866 140596
Email: uhlahtay@hotmail.com

INFORMATION SHEET FOR PARTICIPANTS

Invitation to participate in a research study

You are being invited to take part in a research study.

What is the purpose of the study?

The project will investigate whether self help health promoting behaviours assist in coping strategies for family carers of people with dementia.

Why have I been chosen?

You have been invited to take part because you are a family carer of a person with dementia.

What will I be required to do?

You will be asked to complete by post a total of 12 questionnaires assessing your lifestyle and health habits such as exercising, number of visits to the doctor, use of alcohol and sleeping patterns. Completion of the questionnaires will take approximately 25 minutes.

Will my taking part in the study be kept confidential?

All information collected about you during the course of the study will be kept strictly confidential. All data is stored without any identifying details under secure condition.

What will happen if I don’t want to carry on with the study?

You will be free to withdraw from the study at any time without giving a reason.

What will happen if I don’t want to answer some questions?

Some questions may require answering to sensitive matters, such as experience of burden and feelings of psychological distress in relation to caring for your relative. Examples include being no longer able to provide care for your relative, experience of burden in relation to care giving or use of alcohol to help you cope better with care giving. You will be free to withdraw from answering any questions that make you feel uncomfortable whilst maintaining your status as a valid participant.

Who can I contact for further information?

For more information about this study, please contact:

U Hla Htay, Research Project Co-Ordinator, A Carer Researcher
Tel: 020 7723 2186, Mobile: 07866 140 596 Email: uhlahtay@hotmail.com

THANK YOU FOR CONSIDERING TAKING PART IN THIS RESEARCH STUDY

Last edited by a moderator:

Htay

Apr 11, 2011
sorry Jimbo,
the study is for family dementia carers who are caring either at their own home or at a carehome(but not at NHS or EMI carehome) as stipulated by the UCL Ethics committee.

bw

Htay