Introduction

Morocco

Feb 18, 2024
I am 59 (she/her) with a pathogenic C9orf72 mutation - feeling like I have no support from my family because I am still pretty functional. I find it soothing / calming to be in the online presence of others with dementia - I am struggling with several issues that seem to affect people with dementia ( my current stage is mild cognitive impairment - I still take care of my daily activities). I am tired and apathetic, and twitchy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Morocco

I`m sorry you don't feel your family is supportive. Do you think they are waiting for you to ask for help and support.

People can get confused about what they should or should not offer. So many people with dementia want to try to stay as independent as possible and so they should. This makes it awkward for family and close friends to know what to offer in the way of help or when the time is right.

When you are tired and apathetic and twitchy might be the best time to ask for help and see what happens.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Welcome to the forum @Morocco - I am glad you have found us and that you find it calming to be in touch with others who have dementia. You will find understanding and support here.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Welcome from me too @Morocco to this friendly and supportive forum. It is great that you say you are still 'pretty functional' - long may that continue. You will certainly find the support and understanding here with any of the struggles that you have.