New to all this.

Volak62

Jun 28, 2024
Hello
Im 53 y/o man, only child caring for 89 y/o mother with Alzheimers. I have joint LPA with mums brother (Nick - 70 y/o) Nick has no significant role in day to day care or financial decissions as he lives 300 miles away. Mother lives alone, l live 10 mins away. l Have been caring for mum for last 3 years and am in receipt of carers allowance from DWP.
l have recently become aware of 'gratuitous care payments' and need advice. Mother desperately wants to leave her money to me and the kids but at present is self funding profesional carers @ £1,300pcm. My care duties are everything apart from close personal care, which the pro's do - my duties include: household chores, cooking meals, shopping, transport, liasing with LA and healthcare profesionals, paying bills.
l am mindfull of the rules concerning 'deprevation of assets' so gratuitous care payments seem to be the solution to keeping some of her money within the family.

Three questions: Can l apply to the court of protection for payments myself without involving a solicitor.
Can l apply/receive payments whilst l have LPA.
Can the payments be backdated for last 3 years.

Look forward to reading your replies.

TIA. Volak.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Volak62 Welcome to the forum.

My personal view is nothing you suggest is probable although I stand to be corrected.

Your mother`s money is for her benefit until she dies and you are receiving benefits to `pay` for the care you give her. The professional carers are employed to meet the needs you are unable to provide.

To clarify this absolutely, I suggest you contact the support line. The people there will know exactly what you can and cannot do.