Infection?

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Hi, few weeks ago brother (early onset alzheimers) was more confused, rambling on, had few accidents (wee) said about getting taxi to airport, very poor movement and co ordination and swore at carer, never been aggressive before. GP checked him over all ok but couldn't provide urine sample, took me 6 days to get sample which was checked with dipstick all ok. He's been put on Risperidone for 1 month very low dose which makes him very tired. He's much better, I still think he had infection and think they should've issued antibiotics either way. How do we ever know if its just progression of the alzheimers or was infection 🤔

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @Jake's Nan , its always a mystery to me why they don't treat PWD with antibiotics for a UTI when they have altered mental state. The antibiotic they use as first line is nitrofurantoin which is cheap and because of the way it works is unlikely to lead to resistance.
Dipstick testing can be unreliable which is the medical profession know.. Push for antibiotics if they work then he had a UTI if not then his mental state has dipped and his risperidone can be reviewed.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
People always quote the Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and I'm sure there is plenty of science behind this, but why not a chest infection or even just a mild cold or bout of flu, anything that hits the immune system. K

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Hi @Jake's Nan , its always a mystery to me why they don't treat PWD with antibiotics for a UTI when they have altered mental state. The antibiotic they use as first line is nitrofurantoin which is cheap and because of the way it works is unlikely to lead to resistance.
Dipstick testing can be unreliable which is the medical profession know.. Push for antibiotics if they work then he had a UTI if not then his mental state has dipped and his risperidone can be reviewed.
When I got advice from 111 they said GP should've given antibiotics from day 1 as you say they cause no harm. Oh well hopefully they will wean him off risperidone and we can see how he is, not nice to have him so sleepy.