Incontinence. I still want to take my Mum out for tea and cake at least. She lives in a care home and now wears a pad.

Nicey F

Sep 25, 2022
The incontinence is a lot more frequent. It maybe every 2 hours. If we are out the pad is used, Mum won't let me change it.
She is good with the carers. I don't want her to be anxious and embarrassed if we go out.
Before this I would take her out every weekend.
Any help, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
The incontinence is a lot more frequent. It maybe every 2 hours. If we are out the pad is used, Mum won't let me change it.
She is good with the carers. I don't want her to be anxious and embarrassed if we go out.
Before this I would take her out every weekend.
Any help, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
In my experience, proper incontinence pants, not just pads, will absorb a whole day's worth of urine. (Poo absorption depends on the nature of the poo unfortunately). Would your mum be amenable to changing into pants for going out? Much more comfortable and discreet for you both. You could also alternate between going out and having a special afternoon tea brought in to her room. Hope this helps

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Get the carers to change her just before you go out and get back within 2 hours.
You can go and have tea and cake in a cafe and get back within that time.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I was going to suggest Tena pull-ups. The super pants hold a large amount of liquid and deal with my oh bowel incontinence as well.
Pads ,in my experience ,are really only suitable for leaks and dribbles not a full bladder empty.