Inability to move after waking up from sleep - is this common?

IreneS

Jan 9, 2024
Hi all,,

When my father, who sleeps most of the day, first wakes up, it’s like he’s paralyzed (e.g. he can’t raise his arms, sit up, and/or walk for some time afterwards). Is this common? I usually try to give him time for his body to catchup and ‘wake up‘ and sometimes this works and other times, it doesn’t.

Thank God, Da ’s still eating well (occasional choking on water but found he often holds saliva in mouth and when tries to talk or eat, it’ll go down wrong way) and has a great appetite. When he wakes up tho, and it’s time to eat, he’ll often open his mouth to be fed and will chew & swallow ok but can‘t move otherwise for some time. There are times, tho, it’ll seem like he can’t open his mouth even tho he seems to want to eat. [Re: latter, read somewhere about the mouth locking shut and saliva building up in mouth (which explains my choking comment above).

my brother, who seems to be in denial about dad’s (almost classic) late-stage dementia/alzheimers symptoms pushes him (eg to walk while in that ‘paralyzed’ state) because he thinks Dad is fearful because he has a fall four months ago. Tell him that, even if fear, you don’t get get someone to overcome their fear by pushing them to do what afraid of..[afraid, that, as dad’s primary caregiver for many years, my brother has major burnout and isalsoin serious denial].

Wishing you and your loved ones good health, comfort, and peace!
Irene

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @IreneS

It does sound as if your father needs time to wake whether he is fearful or not.

I doubt anyone will know the true reason but as long as he's allowed to do whatever he needs to do in his own time, I can`t see any harm in allowing this.

IreneS

Jan 9, 2024
Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for the welcome and for your response.

And, yes, many things about dementia/alzheimers are mysteries. And, i agree with you re: allowing him to do what he needs to do.

thanks again and tKe good care,
Irene

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
Hi @IreneS, sleep paralysis is a thing, although it's causes are not fully understood. It's something I experience about once a month and have done since I was a child. Apparently there are five stages of sleep and one of those stages is called REM (rapid eye movement) and it's during this stage we have dreams. In order to stop us from acting out our dreams the brain releases a chemical which restricts our movements. If you awaken during the REM stage it can take a moment for the brain to catch up and during that time we're unable to move. Your dad may be experiencing something completely different but as dementia/alzheimers is a neurological condition it may be a possible cause? Mention it to his GP to get a proper opinion.