Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
A happy day indeed Keith!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
Not such a good day yesterday as she fought the nurses off when they tried to put in a new canula. Got it in eventually but I think that tired her out.
Managed to get a small tub of ice cream and a beaker of coffee into her later though.
Going in at lunchtime to help feed her.
The hospital staff have been great although they really dont have time to sit for 45 minutes getting one small tub of ice cream into her, but I'm willing and able to assist.
It's called love.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
You're right Keith.

Dorothy has someone who loves her. It's wonderful to read.

What happens in hospital to those who have no-one?

I appreciate that nurses may not have the time to feed people. But there could be ancilliaries who did this kind of thing. Money again, I guess. They'd rather give it away, allowing big companies to avoid tax, or pump it into vanity projects like Trident.

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
Well it's some time since I posted on this subject so I thought I would just update you all.
Dorothy was discharged from the hospital on 10th July into a local (less than a mile from our house) nursing home. I had visited the home previousy and had several recommendations so felt fairly confident she would be well looked after there, and I wasn't disappointed. She has a lovely bright room. In hospital, over 5 weeks she was bed bound but the NH had her up, dressed and in the lounge on the second day. Also removed the catheta within days, which made her more comfortable.
As she was bed bound in hospital, she has forgotten how to walk, and cannot be taught how to again because of the disease.
The police have decided that there is no case for them to continue with their investigation into the Care Home she was in (see begining of thread) however, Social Services are continuing to investigate.
The only problem we have is that she seems to spend most of the time with her eyes shut, although I know she is awake, and we have great difficulty in getting her to eat. The care staff are limited in what they can do, if she says "no thankyou" to a meal, they have to respect that, whereas I can "persuade" her to open her mouth and shovel it in. She never spits it out. The only trouble is, it means that we have to be present at every meal, or else she just wont eat. Oh yes, she does eat ice cream OK!
Anybody got any good ideas?
Keith

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Buy lots of ice cream? I've just read this thread for the first time, it is so very heart warming. Just to send you my best wishes and good luck in making the CH accountable for their neglect.

faithy

Jul 31, 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
On Sunday I went to visit my wife at the CH and found her slumped in a chair with cold and clammy hands and red mottled legs. She was totally unresponsive. I drew the care staff's attention to her and they called an ambulance.
At A&E they confirmed my feeling that she had an acute UTI, dehydration and a very low blood pressure.
She has been in a coma since then and on drips and antibiotics.
I feel that the CH had not been paying full attention to her fluid intakes nor had they been insuring that she was taking her blood pressure medication. She always resisted taking pills and I had always crushed them and mixed them with fruit juice. It worked for the past three years.
However the CH said that they weren't allowed to deviate from what's prescrived on the box. When they checked her in A&E, they found her cheeks full of congealed pills.
The hospital say that she is very poorly and it's touch and go if she will come out of this.

This is my nightmare coming true. If she hadn't gone into care, none of this would have happened.
Keith

I am so sorry Keith - hange in there- prayers coming your way from across the sea

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
How do I get this thread into the new subject heading? Took me ages to find it again.

Go to the search box and type in "In hospital and critical" or key in your own user name and your posts will come up, then just scroll down to the thread you want.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Well it's some time since I posted on this subject so I thought I would just update you all.
Dorothy was discharged from the hospital on 10th July into a local (less than a mile from our house) nursing home. I had visited the home previousy and had several recommendations so felt fairly confident she would be well looked after there, and I wasn't disappointed. She has a lovely bright room. In hospital, over 5 weeks she was bed bound but the NH had her up, dressed and in the lounge on the second day. Also removed the catheta within days, which made her more comfortable.
As she was bed bound in hospital, she has forgotten how to walk, and cannot be taught how to again because of the disease.
The police have decided that there is no case for them to continue with their investigation into the Care Home she was in (see begining of thread) however, Social Services are continuing to investigate.
The only problem we have is that she seems to spend most of the time with her eyes shut, although I know she is awake, and we have great difficulty in getting her to eat. The care staff are limited in what they can do, if she says "no thankyou" to a meal, they have to respect that, whereas I can "persuade" her to open her mouth and shovel it in. She never spits it out. The only trouble is, it means that we have to be present at every meal, or else she just wont eat. Oh yes, she does eat ice cream OK!
Anybody got any good ideas?
Keith

Have you talked to the staff about your method Keith - or demonstrated it to them (even better)?

Care home staff, judging by some of the posts on here, may take too much at face value.

If this is the only problem now, things have improved greatly. But this needs sorting.

kd7279

Jan 13, 2010
Thanet, Kent
Another day, and it's all change. Dorothy was wide awake, chatted after a fashion, and ate all her lunch.
Yesterday I took her cat into the NH and she cuddled him for an hour. I saw the other residents eyeing her enviously so took the cat round the lounge and they all had a stroke of him. He is an old cat so is quite happy being fussed, and did he get it!
Keith

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Keith, I have just found your thread. What a terrible time both of you have had. I am really delighted to read today's good news. It really sounds as though Dorothy was at death's door. What a fighter she is. I am sure your love and devotion have been the main reason for her wonderful recovery.

Brilliant news!