improvement didn't last long

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
William was put on 1mg of Risperidone at night about ten days ago. 27th June I think it was. I was so thrilled with the immediate improvement in his hallucinations/delusions! He no longer talked of nothing else but "the men" and their plots/plans and wasn't nearly so agitated all day. He was even going to the garden by himself and pottering about for a while! Sadly, the improvement only lasted a little over a week! Since yesterday, he has been bad again - I hoped yesterday was just an "off" day, as the improvement was so brilliant - he no longer woke up with moans of "Oh God! What now?" and that was the tone of the day set! Since starting the Risperidone, he was still talking a bit about "the men" but not badly at all until toward evening. However, yesterday he started at around noon, and was really agitated by teatime - I even gave him his 4pm molipaxin at 3pm, to no avail. And today was back to square one! He has been really bad all day, going non-stop, crying about the "plans" of the men, how they are sprinkling poison through the ceiling on him, etc. etc. Suddenly tonight, one of his eyes started up weeping and a lot of yukky gunk came out. We bathed and bathed it with cool sterilised water, and he says it feels better - an eyelash washed out, so maybe it was just that. If it is an eye infection, would that account for the downturn, or is it really back to the drawing board? Oddly, the respiridone has not made him one jot sleepy during the day - the Psychiatrist had resisted prescribing it for ages, because of that, and that it might make him a bit unsteady on his feet - not a sign of that either! In fact, it doesn't appear to be having any side affects that I can see. Possibly, he is a little more stuttery in his speech, but I couldn't say for sure that that was the respiridone - he was getting that way anyway. But if I am honest, I almost wish it would make him a little less lively! It's very hard going, all day, on my own, trying to constantly think of ways to distract, console, etc. etc. - and he's very deaf as well, so everything I say I have to repeat several times, in several different tones of voice - while taking care not to get too loud, or I'll be accused of "shrieking and screaming" at him "all the time"!:rolleyes:

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
You are having a terrible time of it! So sorry to hear things seem to be going backwards. I would guess it could be the infection that is aggravating things - lets hope it clears quickly and things start improving again.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
respiridone

Hi
Sorry your are having such a hard time.
Before the consultant prescribed this medication for my Mum, he phoned and told me , there was a possibilty of strokes, but as we didn't really have any alternative choise at that time I agreed. Mum had severe agitation

Like you we were delighted with the improvement, at first, but unfortunately it only lasted about 10 - 12 days and then she showed signs, of possibly a slight stroke, so this medication was discontinued.
I have heard that this drug helps some, but unfortunately, not my Mum.
Not trying to scare you, just making you aware of the side effects

Take care

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yes, he did discuss the possible side effects, but like I said, there really was no other choice - William's hallucinations & delusions are so severe and so terrifying for him. I cleaned his eye with a sterile solution of baking soda in cooled boiled water several times last night and again this morning (a tip from an Opthalmologist last time Wm had conjunctivitis!) and this morning the eye has cleared up.:) It is just a tiny bit pink around the rim. I'm working this morning, but might take him to the doctor when I get back at lunchtime, just to be sure. When bathing the eye, eventually an eyelast came out, so it may have been that irritating it. There's no trace of signs of even a minor stroke, like I said, so far, no signs of any side effects at all except possibly a slight increase in a bit of a stutter as he tries to get some words right.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I found that any little physical discomfort could cause my mother agitation. Perhaps it really was the eyelash in his eye - that is such an uncomfortable feeling! My mother was very well medicated and would still have bad days when not feeling right.

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
Mum was put on risperidone 3weeks ago she has been sleepy during the day she was sleeping at night for a couple of weeks but that seems to be changing now she has not been going on about going home and has been calmer but is awake a lot at night so like you LadyA the risperidone does not seem to be helping much
I hope things settle down for you and William love larivy

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, the eye seemed totally cleared up today, but I took him to the Doctor anyway - I didn't want a recurrance over the weekend when they were closed. It wasn't his usual Doctor, but they have a "walk in" clinic there for emergencies, and the Doc on duty there said it was as well to be sure, so gave us antibiotic drops to put in for 5 days. She said the eye still looks a little red, so it's probably a touch of conjunctivitis. And she also said to be safe, to use the drops in both eyes.

I also rang the CPN today and told her about the way he had improved, but has now gone back. She said see how he goes until Monday, when we are back to the Clinic, and that the Psychiatrist might increase the Risperidone a little - maybe give him .5mg during the day or something - particularly as it doesn't appear to be having adverse affects on him. She said it often happens that initially it improves things then after ten days or so it needs to be increased. It's just a matter of gently feeling our way to the right medication in the right dose without having him "doped". Fat chance I told her - he was practically running around with the lawnmower on Wednesday afternoon, he was so restless! And when he had the lawn mowed (well, only the small back lawn! He didn't tackle the entire 1/2 acre!) he got a secateurs and started "snipping a few bits" as he calls it - just randomly snipping bits of hedges and trees!:rolleyes: He just can't sit still!

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Hello

Afraid I can't say much to help but I know the feeling of excitement when a drug seems to be working and then the utter despair when it doesn't! same thing happened with mum on aricept. It's gutting.
this disease is cruel and we never know whats round the corner.
I really sympathise.

jackmac

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Don't be mean....let him loose on the rest...except of course if it's an electric mower, the extension cord might not be long enough:):) Serously though, I'm glad the eye is clearing up, as we all know now, the least little infection can set things off. I do hope a happy balance of medication can be found, starting on Monday, otherwise, tell him from me that the next time the men come for him I'll say "William is there, come and get him":D Love Maureen.x.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
:D:D At least we can laugh! He's not really able for lawnmowing anymore - but you see, it's his lawnmower that his son bought him some years ago! I'm not supposed to touch it - except I had to start it for him, as it's a big self-propelled petrol model.

I'm hoping it was the eye infection building - because we're up 45 mins now, and he hasn't mentioned the men yet!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
How about telling William that because petrol is now sooooooooo expensive, you thought you might buy him a push along one.....that should keep him out of mischief for a while!! ( Bless him)x.I hope the men have been remarkable by their absence today, love Maureen.x.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, it must have been the eye infection, tiny as it was! We went for our usual morning jaunt to the shops, and it wasn't until the way back, about 11.45, that he mentioned "the men" and their plans!:) He was fairly good until late afternoon, and hasn't been nearly so agitated as he was Wednesday, Thursday and Friday! So, I am assuming that it was the eye, even though it didn't show itself until quite suddenly Thursday night - and one dose of drops improved it immeasurably. Isn't it awful, how such a very small infection can have such an out-of-proportion affect? I told the CPN about it, and she said that likely it was the eye - any change, even a tiny one, either physical or environmental, will leave a mark.:(

comane

Jan 20, 2010
UK
Any use?

My wife went on Risperidone (how do you spell it?) and it seemed to help for a while. Then when I stopped it she seemed better for a while. Now she is back on it and seemed to be better for a while but is very difficult just now. The Consultant says if it helps use it, if not don't. Is it any use?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, he is nowhere near as bad as he used to be, but he is not as good as he was when he started teh Risperidone either. After teh eye infection, he improved again for a couple of days, and then the last day or so, he has been ok in the morning, and then gone down in the afternoon & evening - he gets his tablet at night. So yes, it does help him quite a bit, but in my opinion (or for my sake!) not enough!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Usually they start people on the lowest dosage and then increase if required. You can always ask to have the dosage increased if you feel it warranted. If William gets too shaky on his feet, you can have the dosage decreased.

comane

Jan 20, 2010
UK
Risperidone

I have put my wife back on Risperidone again because she is getting very agitated and frightened at times. I am told that the risk of it causing strokes or heart attacks is so small that they are worth taking if it improves the mental state of the patient :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, William went down again so far, but the Risperidone was obviously having a good effect on his hallucinations/delusions, that it was increased. Now he gets 1mg at night and .5mg in the morning. Yes, he is a bit slower than he was, and yes he gets tired in the afternoon, but he is no longer tormented by and obsessed with the threatening voices he was hearing. He still hears the voices - but not nearly as much, and it doesn't bother him as much.