I'm new here and have a FEAR of getting Alzheimers from the use of medicine

memememeiii

Feb 17, 2016
Can anyone speak to this?

I'm 50, Type II diabetic, 100 lbs overweight, on medication I've read is a cause or contributing factor to Alz's...an antacid and antihistamine as well as statin.

Am I going to end up with Alzheimer's due to this medication treatment - whichi is necessary for my current health?

I'm very concerned about this.

Thank you.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Hello, I have never heard of Alzheimers caused by a medicine. Where did you read this? Have you thought of talking to your doctor or maybe the pharmacist? Your local pharmacist knows a lot about medicines and would be happy to talk to you about your own situation.

I hope you get some answers to help remove this worry.
Love
Quilty

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Hello, I have never heard of Alzheimers caused by a medicine. Where did you read this? Have you thought of talking to your doctor or maybe the pharmacist? Your local pharmacist knows a lot about medicines and would be happy to talk to you about your own situation.

I hope you get some answers to help remove this worry.
Love
Quilty

It's a new study released 02/15/2016 but the verdict is still out and the study in basically inconclusive. Alarming, but seriously, remember when we were told aluminum foil would give us AZ? Don't fret about it -I won't. Smiles

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Meme. welcome to TP
What are the odds of getting; run over by a bus, eaten by a shark or hit by a meteor?
Sure they exist we all live a life with some risks, theoretically anyway.
The big concern for me is your weight 100lb (just over 7 stone over weight to UK readers) if you could address that then maybe the other conditions could disappear along with the pounds.
There is a sliming club on here you could maybe think about joining, it gives you a sense of community and support, one pound each week that's all you need to do, 2 years later and you're there, I bet it took more than 2 years to put the weight on.
I don't want to lecture you but if you just have the little target of a pound a week you'll find it easier to achieve.
That's my opinion but I still smoke and drink, I just try to cut it down a little at a time every week.
I'm not sure what your medication issue is but I guess it might be related to the other thread on here on the link below.
K

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?90104-Anti-Acid-contributes-to-Dementia!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I agree with Kevin. I think if I was in your situation I would try and concentrate on weight reduction. I'm sure you know this and I expect you have tried, probably many times, but it is clear that excess weight can contribute to all sort of health problems, some of which carry risks which are at least as high, and as deadly, as dementia.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To be honest, if you don't address your weight, dementia is going to be the least of your problems and you might die before you ever have a chance of developing it. Don't fret over illnesses you don't have, worry about the ailments you have now and do something about them, then you'll feel much healthier.

Lecture over. :)

Last edited:

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
From my stats training there is a statistical link between ice cream sales and the number of shark attacks, in Australia. Stats also tells us that everyone on earth has 1.8 arms. Go with common sense ways to keep healthy if you are worried. I lost 50lb 4 years ago going to a weekly slimming club. I did not think it would work and only did it to prove my husband wrong! Its hard to take the first step but not so hard after that. We will all be here to cheer you on if you give it a try. Love Quilty

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
I'm 50, Type II diabetic, 100 lbs overweight, on medication I've read is a cause or contributing factor to Alz's...an antacid and antihistamine as well as statin.

Am I going to end up with Alzheimer's due to this medication treatment - whichi is necessary for my current health?

I'm very concerned about this.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

http://www.oagb.org.uk/

I hope you are still on board with us, MeMe. It is not my intent to offend you--however,I believe I see a pink elephant in your living room. I may be wrong. At any rate, I am sharing the link to the UK Overeaters Anonymous Fellowship with you. Perhaps you're familiar with it. Please consider this first. There have been good studies showing that toxic levels of certain chemicals from foods we eat can lead to memory loss and indeed, make any dementia worse. Please check it out. OA could be the answer you've been looking for. Peace, LoisJean

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Meme I do understand your fears because I share them, although for slightly different reasons.

Every week I read that this or that is now thought to cause dementia. Some worry me more than others:

Being overweight (I could do with losing 30lbs)
Drinking fizzy drinks (I go through up to 2 litres of Diet Pepsi a day!)
Drinking too much alcohol (fraid so...)
Processed foods of one sort or another.
Not taking any exercise.
Hereditary factors (Mum has it, auntie has it, nanna had it)

Etc etc etc.

I agree with the others that being 100lbs overweight is going to give you multiple problems in later life if you don't address it now, dementia is, as Beate says, just one of many potential issues.

So take control of your own health rather than worrying about maybes and do something about that weight.

And I will too.

Deal?

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Me too. Im back on scottish slimmers. Work trousers are getting too tight and i need a new pair. Not buying any unless at least one size smaller. Im going online again. The trick is to never give up.