I'm going to Chicago, sorry but I can't take you with me baby

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
What a performance to get a drink or food here at Toronto Pearson airport. One must scan to order and pay, turn down offers of water and cheesecake (or accept), add items to a virtual cart then check out by giving an email address and phone number followed by credit card or PayPal details. Not easy when UK mobile number is said to be invalid! Or if one doesn't have a smartphone.

I wasn't desperate for a drink but had to persevere just to see if it could be done. It only took 20 minutes to order a single beer. What happened to just asking the bartender?

To be fair, at Toronto, on 'The Canadian' train and at Vancouver service has been excellent and I have met many interesting people. I missed the Rolling Stones concert but spent a couple of boozy hours with fans.

Sometimes I feel guilty posting about my holidays when others on the Forum are struggling and stressed. But I hope that some at least take pleasure in my ramblings and photos.

View attachment 71360
You're doing the right thing for me. ❤️

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I enjoy reading your stories and seeing the pictures so don’t feel bad about posting them.
I hope the beer tasted good after all of that nonsense.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Lovely pics @northumbrian_k - thank you.
Did you get to the shoe museum (yes, shoes) in Toronto? (I found it really interesting, from moccasins of the first nations peoples, to a boot that walked on the moon! etc)

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
An unexpected delight as our train crossed Canada was being kept informed by the crew about the history, geography and ecology of the land. Entering Alberta we gathered in the observation car for a talk that was preceded by an elderly passenger singing a wistful song by the late Ian Tyson that I knew only from Neil Young's version.

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That is one of my favourite songs! I have it sung by John Denver. It must have been lovely hearing your fellow passenger sing it.

I’ve enjoyed your photos.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Yes, he and the lady giving the talk are both proud and knowledgeable Albertans. It was quite touching. Other delights included complimentary mimosas and canapés on leaving Toronto and again at Jasper, scenery, wildlife spotting (deer, coyotes, bears, elk, eagles and more), wine tasting, beer tasting, talks on various subjects, games, a comfortable if sometimes rocky bed, and 3 meals a day. Best of all was that, with no WiFi or phone signal for 4 days, there was opportunity to meet and talk to other passengers without them being distracted by their mobiles.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Love the song and your trip sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing: I’m all in favour of vicarious pleasure!

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
An unexpected delight as our train crossed Canada was being kept informed by the crew about the history, geography and ecology of the land. Entering Alberta we gathered in the observation car for a talk that was preceded by an elderly passenger singing a wistful song by the late Ian Tyson that I knew only from Neil Young's version.

Beautiful song,I love the Johnny Cash version

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I remembered that my wife also liked the song so played the video on my phone when I visited her this afternoon. She smiled or maybe laughed at my attempt to sing along.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roucous