I saved the care home from a COVID outbreak but now I can't see Mum

Mumlikesflowers

Aug 13, 2020
Hi,

Mum's been unwell in various ways at the care home for literally months now. Her guts have packed up since being there and I fear she has a bowel blockage. I've managed to get her on the list for the GP round tomorrow. Know that a bowel blockage is a very serious thing. My folks have some private cover so started the process of checking in with them in case we need urgent investigation and procedure.

At the weekend she was unwell and nobody seemed interested. My Dad and I told them as best we could and demanded interest at points. After a few days I decided to test her for COVID and it was positive. Obviously I'd been sitting with her, hugging her, for several days. Immediately we masked up and I went and told staff and the home transformed as it should.

Since then I've been testing, expecting the worst. This morning still negative but then a faint line showed. I was honest as I should be via email. Asked for clarification. I currently have no symptoms. Thought that if I was negative tomorrow and I masked up, could I come in. Was told no. Today is day zero and I can come in on day 6. I just said 'I'll ring in to discuss once I'm negative' as didn't want to make it heated via email.

Of course they need to follow their policy, regardless of the fact that I've just stopped them from having a COVID outbreak and the only reason I'm positive is because there are no preventative measures at all these days within care homes. Rang CQC. I got somebody who started referring me to an article on the BBC website whilst I was trying to read them the latest guidelines from November on gov.uk. So didn't seem to be any light being shed from that quarter.

I guess I'm stuffed and that if that's their policy, that's it. When I caught COVID in the community, I tested positive til day 9 so there was no question about it. Is it worth calmly saying, this seems a bit rich given the circumstances. I am generally at the home everyday because I'm so concerned about Mum's health and there isn't anyone else who can fill that role. You end up wishing you'd just not said anything. But that's rubbish. I mean, the policy is that I just hang out with Mum in her room anyway and don't go anywhere else in the building and obviously I'm masked up. I've worked in health and social care for 25 years and I'll be washing my hands left right and centre.

I guess I'm just collateral damage for a policy that should make a lot more sense in other cases.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Mumlikesflowers I am sorry to hear that your mum tested positive for Covid and that you have too. It sounds a little dramatic and not necessarily strictly the case that you have "saved" the care home from an outbreak. You took the correct action in informing the home so that they could mitigate against the potential for the virus to spread but there is no certainty that it would have done.

Noting that you acted correctly in the first instance, I am unsure why you now seem to think that the home should make an exception to its policy, given your own positive status (you can't have tested negative if a faint line appears). The fact that you are asymptomatic is irrelevant if the test result is positive. It is possible that your positive status is a result of interaction with your mum. But you can't say for certain that this is the case, or that it is due to a lack of preventative measures in care homes. There aren't any in the wider community either.

I am really not sure why you feel that you have a grievance against the home. Would you be happy if relatives of other residents who themselves had tested positive were admitted to the home and allowed to walk around in contravention of the policy? My suggestion is to keep on testing until you are sure that you are negative and only then - and acting in accordance with the policy - recommence your visits.

Last edited:

Helen Derby

Jan 3, 2024
Hi @Mumlikesflowers I am sorry to hear that your mum tested positive for Covid and that you have too. It sounds a little dramatic and not necessarily strictly the case that you have "saved" the care home from an outbreak. You took the correct action in informing the home so that they could mitigate against the potential for the virus to spread but there is no certainty that it would have done.

Noting that you acted correctly in the first instance, I am unsure why you now seem to think that the home should make an exception to its policy, given your own positive status (you can't have tested negative if a faint line appears). The fact that you are asymptomatic is irrelevant if the test result is positive. It is possible that your positive status is a result of interaction with your mum. But you can't say for certain that this is the case, or that it is due to a lack of preventative measures in care homes. There aren't any in the wider community either.

I am really not sure why you feel that you have a grievance against the home. Would you be happy if relatives of other residents who themselves had tested positive were admitted to the home and allowed to walk around in contravention of the policy? My suggestion is to keep on testing until you are sure that you are negative and only then - and acting in accordance with the policy - recommence your visits.
Hi,

Mum's been unwell in various ways at the care home for literally months now. Her guts have packed up since being there and I fear she has a bowel blockage. I've managed to get her on the list for the GP round tomorrow. Know that a bowel blockage is a very serious thing. My folks have some private cover so started the process of checking in with them in case we need urgent investigation and procedure.

At the weekend she was unwell and nobody seemed interested. My Dad and I told them as best we could and demanded interest at points. After a few days I decided to test her for COVID and it was positive. Obviously I'd been sitting with her, hugging her, for several days. Immediately we masked up and I went and told staff and the home transformed as it should.

Since then I've been testing, expecting the worst. This morning still negative but then a faint line showed. I was honest as I should be via email. Asked for clarification. I currently have no symptoms. Thought that if I was negative tomorrow and I masked up, could I come in. Was told no. Today is day zero and I can come in on day 6. I just said 'I'll ring in to discuss once I'm negative' as didn't want to make it heated via email.

Of course they need to follow their policy, regardless of the fact that I've just stopped them from having a COVID outbreak and the only reason I'm positive is because there are no preventative measures at all these days within care homes. Rang CQC. I got somebody who started referring me to an article on the BBC website whilst I was trying to read them the latest guidelines from November on gov.uk. So didn't seem to be any light being shed from that quarter.

I guess I'm stuffed and that if that's their policy, that's it. When I caught COVID in the community, I tested positive til day 9 so there was no question about it. Is it worth calmly saying, this seems a bit rich given the circumstances. I am generally at the home everyday because I'm so concerned about Mum's health and there isn't anyone else who can fill that role. You end up wishing you'd just not said anything. But that's rubbish. I mean, the policy is that I just hang out with Mum in her room anyway and don't go anywhere else in the building and obviously I'm masked up. I've worked in health and social care for 25 years and I'll be washing my hands left right and centre.

I guess I'm just collateral damage for a policy that should make a lot more sense in other cases.
Sorry to hear about it. My husband has Alzheimer's and he had a blockage earlier this year. It took a while for him to recover, but he's physically recovered now.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi,

My daughter works in administration in a care home here in Australia. Nobody gets in without testing negative first and then wearing a mask. The testing station is right at the entrance And the rules are very strict.

Mumlikesflowers

Aug 13, 2020

Hmmm......yes I agree with some of what you say. I do think it's partly true that I saved them. It would be rife in the place likely by now. As is, it is contained in one part of the building. I wouldn't go in there unless I was negative but that's not the policy. In fact the policy suggests that if I was asymptomatic on day 6, I could go in regardless. I realise that they can't request visitors to test unless tests are provided for free. As care workers still have free access to tests, I feel that there should still be some regular testing requested of care workers. And overall a sense amongst staff and visitors that this is just below the radar always. I mean there should be 'nudges' and reminders. The only person I've ever seen in communal areas washing their hands is me. If I had not tested myself, I'd still be going in just fine as I don't have symptoms. It's just tough. But I agree with what you say.

COVID still has a big social impact even where in Mum's case, her symptoms are not bad.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think that people (at least, in UK) are pretending that it has gone away.
It hasnt. Its still causing problems and the hospitals have a high number of people with covid infections

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hmmm......yes I agree with some of what you say. I do think it's partly true that I saved them. It would be rife in the place likely by now. As is, it is contained in one part of the building. I wouldn't go in there unless I was negative but that's not the policy. In fact the policy suggests that if I was asymptomatic on day 6, I could go in regardless. I realise that they can't request visitors to test unless tests are provided for free. As care workers still have free access to tests, I feel that there should still be some regular testing requested of care workers. And overall a sense amongst staff and visitors that this is just below the radar always. I mean there should be 'nudges' and reminders. The only person I've ever seen in communal areas washing their hands is me. If I had not tested myself, I'd still be going in just fine as I don't have symptoms. It's just tough. But I agree with what you say.

COVID still has a big social impact even where in Mum's case, her symptoms are not bad.
Where my daughter works, testing is free for everyone, staff and visitors and she tests every day before entering the facility. I visited to have lunch with my daughter and I had to test at the entrance and sign in. I guess policies differ but apart from that we all have an obligation to stay away from the vulnerable when things like COVID are still prevalent in the community.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @Mumlikesflowers , My husband is in a Nursing home and I tested positive for COVID in October. The homes rules were that I must stay away for 6 days although I was negative by day 4 I stuck to their rules and my husband didn't get it.
His Nursing Home is very careful about trying not to get an outbreak although not punitive. In September I had a COVID contact and they just asked me to test.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
I think that people (at least, in UK) are pretending that it has gone away.
It hasnt. Its still causing problems and the hospitals have a high number of people with covid infections
Couldn't agree more @canary my husband spent three months in hospital last year and it was rife with it.