I need help.

Wiggssw19

Mar 15, 2020
I have a 72 year old mother with undiagnosed dementia, the symptoms started at around 67-68 and appears to have progressed very quickly. over the last 18 months. over the last year she now has episodes which seen to be increasing and lasting longer where she doesn’t recognise my dad who lives with her. Believing he is someone else particularly a child, these episodes are now lasting on and off all day and is putting my dad under immense stress. We have attempted to get a Gp involved, but my mother refuses to see any health care professionals. The GPS to be fair have offered appointments and home visits but are refused by my mother. My mum also has never seen a Gp in years and will not take any medicatio and refused any sort of memory clinics or any help whatsoever.
we really are at a stage where we as a family are reaching out for ideas and help as we feel we are not coping and not giving the appropriate care to my mum. I am also very concerned for my father who is really struggling emotionally with what he states “I have lost my soul partner, friend and wife.“
Any help or ideas will be so welcome.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Wiggssw19

It sounds as if you have tried everything to get medical advice for your mother. All I can suggest is you phone the Helpline and ask their advice.

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm