Husband in Hospital

Msolo

Oct 20, 2022
South Wales
My husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia three years ago. He has not been too bad over that time there have been niggardly things going on like he cannot remember how to deal with the TV and little things like that
Three weeks ago he went to bed OK but when he woke in the morning his speech was not understandable I thought he had had a stroke. I called an ambulance which came fairly quickly three hours after call, at 9.30pm after he spent five hours in the ambulance, only being taken into hospital for scan, they called saying they could not find anything wrong it was just his dementia so we had to go and get him when we got him out of the car he fell over, my son had to get my wheelchair so as to get into house.
On the following day he slept all day and woke up just as I was going to bed and started talking none stop and it was all rubbish, he all so wanted to get out of bed which he could not do as he kept on falling over and I had to get people to come and get him up, in the morning I called for another ambulance because he was halluncinating he could not even take a drink or eat that ambulance took 24 hours to arrive and taken to another hospital.
He has been there for three weeks now he cannot walk he cannot feed himself and he sleeps all the time, they do not think he will come home he will have to go into a care home.
Sorry this is so long but the question I would like help on is what money we are going to lose if he goes into care, we live in a council house, he has his state pension and a private pension and attendance allowance. I get a married womens pension and pension credit. What I wonder about is what I am likely to lose. Can I contact DWP on behalf of husband as he cannot talk on a phone as he is loosing his hearing and his sight

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @Msolo , it sounds like you really have been through it recently.
As far as money is concerned, if your husband any savings over £23,500 then he will have to pay for his care fully. If you have joint savings 50% will be considered to be his and will be used if it is over £23,500. If you have no savings of this kind then he will be funded by the local authority. He will have to contribute his state pension and half of his private pension and he will stop getting attendance allowance.
You will need to let the DWP know he has been in hospital as soon as possible as after 28 days the attendance allowance will stop and I’m sure you don’t want to be having to pay them back so make this a priority. They will need his NI number and personal details.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
My husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia three years ago. He has not been too bad over that time there have been niggardly things going on like he cannot remember how to deal with the TV and little things like that
Three weeks ago he went to bed OK but when he woke in the morning his speech was not understandable I thought he had had a stroke. I called an ambulance which came fairly quickly three hours after call, at 9.30pm after he spent five hours in the ambulance, only being taken into hospital for scan, they called saying they could not find anything wrong it was just his dementia so we had to go and get him when we got him out of the car he fell over, my son had to get my wheelchair so as to get into house.
On the following day he slept all day and woke up just as I was going to bed and started talking none stop and it was all rubbish, he all so wanted to get out of bed which he could not do as he kept on falling over and I had to get people to come and get him up, in the morning I called for another ambulance because he was halluncinating he could not even take a drink or eat that ambulance took 24 hours to arrive and taken to another hospital.
He has been there for three weeks now he cannot walk he cannot feed hinself and he sleeps all the time, they do not think he will come home he will have to go into a care home.
Sorry this is so long but the question I would like help on is what money we are going to lose if he goes into care, we live in a council house, he has his state pension and a private pension and attendance allowance. I get a married womens pension and pension credit. What I wonder about is what I am likely to lose. Can I contact DWP on behalf of husband as he cannot talk on a phone as he is loosing his hearing and his sight
Hi @Msolo ,what a terrible time you are both having. He obviously is going to need a pretty full care package so will probably need a Nursing Home. It is possible he will be eligible for CHC which is continual funding paid by the NHS. The Home will usually apply for this.
I'm going to assume he hasn't got over the £23,000 in savings so if he is Local authority funded they will take his state pension and half his private pension. Attendance allowance will also be stopped.
Do you have POA if so you can register it with DWP and they will be able to talk to you. As you already get pension credit I am sure Citizens advice can help you if you need assistance paying the rent. You should already be on 25% reduction of Council tax because of his dementia but if not get in touch with the council. Going forward you can get it as a single occupier in your house but you may be able to back claim because of your husband's diagnosis.
Hope this helps

Msolo

Oct 20, 2022
South Wales
Thanks everyone for your advice. As far as the rent and council rates are we do not pay any it is all covered by the council.
I do not have a POA in place yet that is something I have got to sort out

Msolo

Oct 20, 2022
South Wales
Just looked up POA it would appear it can be filled in by anyone but it has to be signed by the person who it applies to, my husband can no longer understand anything of hold a pen to sign anything, so now I do not know what to do

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Does your husband still have mental capacity? I’m thinking that he may not and if this is the case, you can’t apply for a POA. If he does have capacity to understand what this is about then I think he can make his mark or thumb print as long as it is witnessed in the same way a pen signature would be.

Msolo

Oct 20, 2022
South Wales
So husband has been in hospital now for almost five weeks. They have moved him from the stroke ward to a medical ward. ever since he has been in hospital when we have visited him he has always been asleep, when he has woke he has not known who we are and just fallen asleep again. The nurses have said he has been eating but I think that is that they have more patience so has to feed him.
When we went to the medical ward the first thing they said was that he was not eating nut I think that is because they are giving him time and also one nurse got him out of bed and he fell on the floor, I am sorry but how daft can they be he has been laying in bed for over four weeks his legs have lost any muscle they had left alone the fact he was falling over before he went into hospital
Went to see him today and he was awake and he seemed to be a lot brighter, unfortunately we could not understand what he was saying to us but he was talking I think this is the result of the stroke he had not so much the dementia
We are still waiting to find out what social services wants to happen to him.

Judy JT

Apr 6, 2024
So husband has been in hospital now for almost five weeks. They have moved him from the stroke ward to a medical ward. ever since he has been in hospital when we have visited him he has always been asleep, when he has woke he has not known who we are and just fallen asleep again. The nurses have said he has been eating but I think that is that they have more patience so has to feed him.
When we went to the medical ward the first thing they said was that he was not eating nut I think that is because they are giving him time and also one nurse got him out of bed and he fell on the floor, I am sorry but how daft can they be he has been laying in bed for over four weeks his legs have lost any muscle they had left alone the fact he was falling over before he went into hospital
Went to see him today and he was awake and he seemed to be a lot brighter, unfortunately we could not understand what he was saying to us but he was talking I think this is the result of the stroke he had not so much the dementia
We are still waiting to find out what social services wants to happen to him.
I can relate to this , my boyfriend, had a fall, at new year and ended up in hospital for a month, he was home for two weeks, when he collapsed again , and is back in hospital following a stroke, and he is still there. He is also struggling to eat, he is on mushed up food, and not drinking enough, so has been put on a drip. There was talk of discharging to a care home, a few weeks ago, but because he not drinking this has not happened, and have been informed , it looks like he will be in hospital another two months ! Good luck with social services, and getting information from them !

Msolo

Oct 20, 2022
South Wales
Thanks to every one on this forum for all the help that you have given me during my husbands illness.
I am sorry to say that on friday morning 26 April he passed away peacefully in his sleep in hospital

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
So sorry for your loss, happened to me someonths ago now, at least as a carer I had a purpose in life, moving on can be hard.
All here to help. K

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
So sorry For your loss.

We’re still here for you for however long you like. Many folk remain part of the community so please keep posting and reading.

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
Sorry to hear your sad news @Msolo
Please keep posting - we're all here to support each other. Wishing you peace and strength over the coming days and weeks.
S x

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Sorry to hear that @Msolo. As others have said the forum is still here for you so please do post if and when you need to.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
This must have been such a shock, my sympathy and condolences. Now a whole different set of questions and worries. I hope you have lots of support from family and friends.

Msolo

Oct 20, 2022
South Wales
This must have been such a shock, my sympathy and condolences. Now a whole different set of questions and worries. I hope you have lots of support from family and friends.
It could of happened years ago as he had had three heart attacks and four strokes and in the last few weeks he had had two bleds on the brain. So we where expecting it to happen but yes it is still a shock when it does happen
Yes I have family to support me but I am a very organised person so every thing is all sorted and in order for when it needs dealing with

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. Now take care of yourself and take a rest.

Msolo

Oct 20, 2022
South Wales
Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your husband. Now take care of yourself and take a rest.
Many thanks I am resting as much as I can now that I am not jumping up at every whim that he had and also now that I am not having to worry about how he is doing and what was happening to him. Also I am sleeping better since I do not have to keep an ear open for any noise he made in the night.