How far would you feel it acceptable to push food and drink?

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Just sending Lots of Love , Strength , Peace & Comfort to you & your Mum today

( Have read your post about the Drinks & hope you did not worry to much last night & Annie & others are right in what they said )

Take care & positive vibes for another peaceful day in the "Room of Love "

Lots of Love & BIG HUGS Love Grove x x x x x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Well Mum has made a liar of me this morning!
I got here at 8 a.m., walked in, Mum opened her eyes, smiled and said "hello!" clear as anything! I asked her if she wanted a drink, she sucked up 30 ml of juice through a straw straight off! She took lots of time to swallow and was exhausted at the end. She has just had another 30 ml now!!! I said,"are you hungry?" And got a very heartfelt "yes" in reply!
She's been awake for 30 minutes now. She's been talking utter gibberish, saying the news is about her and being agitated, so I turned it off and we are playing the Christmas CD again.
She's just drifted off to sleep so I'm quite keen to see if she can manage any breakfast. When I asked what she wanted to eat, well you know what's coming now don't you? She said "porridge" clear as a bell!
At least today I shall feel a bit happier leaving her.
I have cleaned out her mouth, it was claggy with brown stuff, and she was gurgling when she talked. She spat into my tissue but it was clear fluid, I wonder if she has just got some of last night's Horlicks still at the back of her throat? Mouth care seems to be nonexistent unless I do it but then again maybe she refuses it. I know she hates it.
Thanks Annie and Saffie for the comforting thoughts. Contrary Mary great to hear from you, too. It so helps knowing how you coped with this tricky time, Annie.
Maybe Mum has had some sort of virus and is now on the mend. I feel I am on a careering roller coaster and it's making me feel sick it's swinging so wildly up and down. I feel drained.
This morning I've got to go to church, I'm reading the lesson; then it's lesson planning all the way to Monday. Thank goodness term is nearly done.
Love to all,

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Pied,

I am delighted your mum is making a liar of you:)

This may mean that you can rest in this experience for today and use your energies for other things you need and want to do. I wonder what the lesson in church is today?

Love

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am delighted to hear that your mother has rallied again. She does like to keep you on your toes, doesn't she - she's done this before I know and I'm very pleased to hear that she has done it again - for both her sake and your's. I'm sorry about the anxiety it has caused you though - and probably sleepless nights too. Don't doubt yourself and the care you are giving your mother, nobody could do more I'm sure. X

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thanks Saffie and Helen! You are so kind. Mum has just eaten 1/4 bowl of porridge and drunk 25 mls of fortisip! I can't believe it! She choked on the fortisip a little but not too much. I have made her comfy, Vaseline on her lips and laid her back in bed.
She is fast asleep now with a smile on her face and she looks totally blissfully comfy. Her forehead is smooth which I take to mean she is not in pain. The skin between her eyes furrows when she is in pain. That's what I believe anyway.
I am reading from Luke but I haven't looked at it yet. Haven't had time! Ill get to church early and do it there before we start.
Gosh. This roller coaster. :eek:
Love to all,

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Mum just said yes she wanted a drink so she took 5mls of the fortisip and immediately choked and said "horrible" and looked at me so plaintively.
I just smiled and said "cough up, chicken", which is what she always said to me when I was small.
I'm going to go home after church and catch up on housework I think. I have the hugest ironing mountain you have ever seen.
How do you explain to people how it is? I'm sure people at work are tired of hearing about my mum. I don't even talk about her any more.
X

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I so sympathise. My husband could not bear mention of either of my parents. You keep putting your talk into TP and you will be fine. We all know what you are talking about.
When my mum died this year my son was with me - and he called my husband and said:
Dad when Mum and I get home, come to the front door and hug Mum. .

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Butter your son is so thoughtful, that is lovely.

Dear Pied, I am so pleased your mum has perked up today. Life is such a rollercoaster!
You are clearly doing your mum so much good by being there and creating an atmosphere of love; keep doing whatever it is you are doing. She clearly loves your singing, and this must bring her comfort.

Enjoy your planning and housework!:eek: I remember spending my Sundays planning too, but retirement is a wonderful thing! :)

Take care of yourself.

Jan xx

winda

Oct 17, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Dear Pied, it is so difficult when your emotions are so up and down, I do sympathise.
But I am please that your mum seems to have perked up. You must be feeling a bit better today.

Thinking of you both xx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Just before I left Mum she said something really quiet and I asked her to repeat it twice before she said "I will (mumble) Millie." Millie was Mum's auntie. I said, "Auntie Millie? Has she been to see you?" Mum said she had.

Funny how she mentioned Millie out of the blue - but then again she was talking rubbish all morning.

I said "Bye bye," to Mum when I left, and that my sis sent her love.

Butter, your son sounds lovely.

Deborah Blythe, thank you so much, I hope you are feeling much better now. Are you out from under the duvet today? xx

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Pied , Sounds like you have had a busy day ! going to Church , Caring for your Mum & Ironing ! Hope the reading went well & you have been able to do some of the Ironing

So pleased your Mum had a good Breakfast :) & you were able to give her Mouth - Care ( am sure she must have felt better after that )

Take care & positive vibes that you have a good week at work

Love & Healing thoughts to you & your Mum in the coming week

Love Grove x x

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
My goodness Pied, a roller coaster indeed, I'm so glad your mum has rallied and give you some peace of mind today. Please take care of yourself, and let others take care of you too. Thinking of you and your mum xxxx

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Thank you so much for taking the time to think of me. I just rang the lovely night nurse at 6.45 am. She said Mum is much perkier and has drunk a full 200 of Horlicks! I guess Mum is not going anywhere right now. Why do I feel so totally utterly drained? I could sleep for a week. Ill pop in after work if I can find the energy. I guess while I needed it, I had it. :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Oh Pied try and get some rest, you have had a hard worrying time and it's bound to take it out of you, you have been wonderful, it's surprising where the energy comes from when we need it ,I am pleased to hear your mum is brighter,

Have a good day love and hugs from Jeany xx

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Pied,

I'm so relieved your mum is picking up a little. Try to use this time to build up your strength, and enjoy the good days...

I hope your mum has a relatively good day and remains perky for a long while yet, xxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulette C