Hospital planning to send dad home with catheter.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was annoyed the other day when the enablement worker had shown my dad how to empty the day bag ( he had asked)with the lever and she had wrote in the book he did it confidently!
I quite understand.
Whn OH was discharged from the hospital I had no idea that he would be coming home with a catheter. He arrived back by hospital transport at 10.00pm with a bag of "bits" and no instructions!:eek: When I phoned the ward because I didnt know what to do I was told that OH knew what to do because they had shown him........

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Sounds like a common theme. My Dad in his final frail week had a catheter fitted by district nurses……they thought my mum would be able to manage ….she forgot it was even there!! I remember a very fraught late FaceTime conversation trying to work out how to empty it. Needless to say when carers arrived the next lunchtime it had backed right up and Dad was admitted…..

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
Thanks folks. It does sound common. Dads been home over a week now and had his follow up ct scan to see if the kidney stone has passed by itself. I’m assuming the catheter will be removed if the stone has passed. Although nobody seems to really know the answer to my question regarding how long the catheter will be in place. It’s been in over 5 weeks now already. So it’s just a matter of waiting to hear the results of the scan first. Then I hope it will be removed. Dad has 4 carers a day. The last one is meant to be at 9pm but in fact comes at 7. He’s lucky they have been able to come early in the morning because a couple of clients have gone into respite etc but dads not actually meant to have a carer until 11.30 in the morning. So essentially have his night time bag on from 7pm til 11.30 the next day. (16.5 hrs). The hospital said they’d shown dad how to empty the bag and it may be that he’s managing this. I don’t know as I live 500 miles away and he has no family or friends to pop in. I do worry it will start to get him down or he will pull at it or get infections. The impression I’m getting is that dad isn’t going to bed. He’s falling asleep in his chair. He couldn’t even remember he had a bedroom in the house after being home for 3 days. I’ll feel much better once the catheter is removed. Its just another thing to have to deal with.

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
I quite understand.
Whn OH was discharged from the hospital I had no idea that he would be coming home with a catheter. He arrived back by hospital transport at 10.00pm with a bag of "bits" and no instructions!:eek: When I phoned the ward because I didnt know what to do I was told that OH knew what to do because they had shown him........
That’s just terrible I really despair

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Thank you so much for this I will speak to the district nurse I think they are coming next week to change something!The clip sounds safer
I will get some of those sheets too
I was annoyed the other day when the enablement worker had shown my dad how to empty the day bag ( he had asked)with the lever and she had wrote in the book he did it confidently!
My heart was in my mouth when I read that he’s not capable of emptying it and wouldn’t remember the correct way to do it
I’m sure they aren’t dementia trained or simply don’t read the notes to find out what issues they have anyway they have all been told now not to show him if he asks
I just dread night time he just can’t settle with it
Thank you so much for this I will speak to the district nurse I think they are coming next week to change something!The clip sounds safer
I will get some of those sheets too
My heart was in my mouth when I read that he’s not capable of emptying it and wouldn’t remember the correct way to do it
I’m sure they aren’t dementia trained or simply don’t read the notes to find out what issues they have anyway they have all been told now not to show him if he asks
I just dread night time he just can’t settle with it
Been over this morning after the carers had been she has had to strip the bed urine all over I don’t know what’s happened

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Been over this morning after the carers had been she has had to strip the bed urine all over I don’t know what’s happened
That has happened to me when OH has detached the night bag from the leg bag so the urine drained into the bed rather than the night bag. On other occasions the leg bag has sprung a leak.
A waterproof mattress cover and a double kylie sheet really is the only answer to these sort of "malfunctions". You still have to wash the bedding and nightwear, but at least the urine doesnt go everywhere and it saves the mattress.

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
That has happened to me when OH has detached the night bag from the leg bag so the urine drained into the bed rather than the night bag. On other occasions the leg bag has sprung a leak.
A waterproof mattress cover and a double kylie sheet really is the only answer to these sort of "malfunctions". You still have to wash the bedding and nightwear, but at least the urine doesnt go everywhere and it saves the mattress.
I think my dad must have done that the mattress is soaked on both sides of the bed
Carer checked for any leaks on the night bag and there wasn’t so he must have detached it
It’s gone through the mattress protectors I had two on I wasn’t aware of kylie sheets
But I will be getting some and probably a new bed or mattress he needed one before and he definitely does now

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
BTW - to get the smell out of bedding use an in wash sanitiser (detol do one, but there are other makes - I use zoflora because I like the smell!) and pause the washing cycle for half an hour so that it can soak.
To get the smell out of carpets and soft furnishing use spray carpet cleaner designed to clear up after pet "accidents"

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
BTW - to get the smell out of bedding use an in wash sanitiser (detol do one, but there are other makes - I use zoflora because I like the smell!) and pause the washing cycle for half an hour so that it can soak.
To get the smell out of carpets and soft furnishing use spray carpet cleaner designed to clear up after pet "accidents"
Thank you for this helpful information

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
Had problems with the sides of standard mattress protectors not being waterproof so after replacing double mattress bought an enclosed zipped waterproof mattress protector (plus a spare) and used 2 standard waterproof mattress covers on top (switching to ones which could be finished off in the tumble dryer as they were a pain to drip dry and seemed to hold the water for ages) plus a kylie type waterproof bed pad below the top sheet on the side of the bed that was most likely to get wet.
On top of the double sheet placed a king size kylie type waterproof bed pad with tucks/wings on either side, which was white on the top and blue underneath, so it was less visibly a bed pad to the PWD on top of a white sheet. Cut tuck off on one side and tucked the waterproof bit in on the side that was most likely to get wet. Tucking the bed pad in was the only way to keep it in position and in the end the mattress survived unscathed although the urine occasionally made it all the way down to zipped mattress protector.
Also needed a waterproof quilt cover.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
On top of the double sheet placed a king size kylie type waterproof bed pad with tucks/wings on either side, which was white on the top and blue underneath, so it was less visibly a bed pad to the PWD on top of a white sheet
I may be wrong (and Im sure people will correct me if I am), but I always thought the white side was the waterproof side and thus went on the bottom.
Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I may be wrong (and Im sure people will correct me if I am), but I always thought the white side was the waterproof side and thus went on the bottom.
Have I been doing it wrong all this time?
The ones I used did not have a white side.
I used to put the plastic side underneath and the fabric side uppermost, the fabric stopped urine running to the edge and off the sheet for a minor event.

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
Did buy official kylie seat pads which were great but for bedding went with white non branded ones as they were a lot cheaper than the official pink or blue ones. The white side had some patterned stitching on and the plain blue side had the label on it.
Looked similar to these but not 100% sure where they were purchased.