Hopefully taking mum for first visit to gp tomorrow, What sort of things should we tell gp about?

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Hopefully we're taking mum to gps tomorrow about her memory problems, if we can get her there. She said I could make an appointment last week but then once I had made it on the couple of occasions we talked about it she said didn't want to go and I should cancel it. I'm hoping we manage to get her there tomorrow.
What actually happens at a gp visit? What do they want to know about?
When I made appointment receptionist asked what symptoms were so I said mum wants to talk about memory problems shes been having for quite a while. It was suggested on my other post that I get in touch with surgery and let them know mum was resistant to going and ask would I be able to send in a note or take one with me to give gp with some of her symptoms on in case mum doesn't tell gp and doesn't want me to.
I have tried to ring when not with mum for a few minutes or before going to her house but each time I ring the phone is busy and before I get to the end of the queue mum either comes looking for me or rings me if I'm at home and I have to hang up as I'm trying not to mention it again in front of her and worry if she realises thats who I'm on phone to she'll say cancel it. So I've not managed to ask. If they had an email on website I would have tried that as mum can't hear what I'm doing when typing and so it's easier to hide, but there isn't one :(.
I'm still thinking of writing some things down though to take with me tomorrow even if only as a reminder to myself what to mention. I do tend to go blank when I see a doctor, I'm as scared of doctors as mum is, and if I don't go blank I ramble on (a bit like on my post :O )
Thing is I don't actually know what sort of thing is pertinent to mention. Each time I try to think what is important I go a bit blank on specifics, I think its been going on for a couple of years with mum now and got worse this last year and then again this last couple of months and especially this last couple of weeks but I struggle to remember off top of my head when bits started. And wonder how detailed do I need to go.
I wondered if anyone remembered what was asked at their visit and would be able to point me in direction of the sort of things gp will want to know if she does or not and then I can write down if she does that or not.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @annielou

I don’t remember saying very much about dad’s symptoms at the first visit to the GP. Actually dad’s doctor called him in as dad had got lost driving to the surgery and arrived late at a previous appointment. This had been enough to alert dad’s GP that there might be a problem. Just tell them what unusual behaviours you’ve noticed. I found it easier to write bullet points and just hand them to the GP.

Dad asked me to accompany him to the doctors appointment and all that happened at the first one was that dad was asked to have a blood test to rule out any other possible reasons for his memory loss.
Unfortunately, at the next appointment, these came back clear so he then went on for further mental tests.

For the next appointment he was invited to the local community hospital to take a memory test. And after that to the mental health unit for a brain scan.

This was 4 separate occasions weeks apart. So don’t worry. If you think you’ve forgotten to mention something at the first appointment you’ll be able to further down the line.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @annielou, when I took Mum for the first time I explained that Mum was having some issues with her memory and some confusion, and she (thankfully) agreed was the case. I didn't have to cite specific examples although I did have those. I was extremely mindful that I didn't want Mum to feel embarrassed in any way by me going over things that had happened - although on the way there I remember her saying 'why are we going to the Doctors?' and I also had to repeat it why we were waiting to go in! you couldn't write this stuff. The family GP knew us well and did some simple memory tests - which Mum did OK but far from perfect on (what year is it? who is the PM? When were you born? what season is it? Some simple written problems like telling the time etc etc), but recommended a referral to the Memory Clinic for further tests and a scan at the hospital. I hope this helps a little. All the best with the appointment.

Mumof3kids

Aug 12, 2018
@annielou My dad was very resistent about admitting there was any problem with his memory. He was adament about it. But as a family we could not bury our heads any longer. Luckily for us my dad has a good relationship with his GP and respects what he says. The GP is also very respectful of the sensitivity around Dementia. The first appointment my dad was asked very basic questions, as @Pete1 says, what's the year, PM name etc. He failed many of the questions, only being able to recall his age, address etc. He was then referred to the Memory Clinic and for a brain scan. The scan showed that dad had suffered small strokes (TIAs) and this is how he was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. It is an extremely difficult situation when at the GPs/hospital appointments - since my dad really can't answer honestly any questions they ask. Initially he would get very cross about myself or mum answering on his behalf. However these days when I take him to any appointments, I just put my hand on his shoulder and say 'Dad, would it be easier for you if I spoke to the Doctor, or do you want to?' This seems to do the trick and since he's been given the option, he always replies 'no it's fine, you know what's what' But it has taken us a long time to reach this point. In the early stages I would write and old fashioned letter and where possible, drop it off for the GP/Consultant a day prior to the appointment so they had the opporunity to read my concerns ahead us turning up. It worked very well and took the stress of talking about your loved one in front of them. I do appreciate though it does rely on your GP being on board with how you're trying to handle the sensitive issue.

Good luck. The start of the journey is definitely the hardest - or at least that's how it has been in our experience.

4+ years after his diagnosis, we still don't use the word Dementia.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thanks for your replies xxx
@Bunpoots that makes me feel a bit better about going in and possibly not saying the right things and missing things if there's other chances down the line. I suppose first appointment is to get ball rolling, also as its mums appointment gp may not want to hear from me so much as her really, I'll jot a few things down just in case gp does ask me or mum asks me to explain for her so I have something to refer to.
As you say @Pete1 I don't want to embarrass mum and make things harder for her so don't really want to blurt out loads of examples and things in front of her. She's already said when I told her about the appointment she didn't want me going in telling them she was mental, which I never would, and I told her that she's not mental as she puts it, she has a problem with her memory and brain it's not a choice, it's not her fault, it's just a medical thing just like she has a problem with her eyes.
If she does agree to go tomorrow she will probably be the same as your mum and ask me what she's going for and what to say while we wait to go in. Last christmas she had been suffering with a uti for weeks and when finally she agreed to go to gp and we finally got an appointment she asked in the car and again in the waiting room what am I here for? And what do I say?
It was quite funny in a way as the reason she had put off going to gps for so long with it was because she thought they would pick up on her memory problems (which she was already having then though not as bad as now) and chuck her in a home and she didn't need one as she wasn't that bad. Yet she couldn't remember what she was there for and thought she was bad enough they might notice :)
@Mumof3kids Your dad sounds like my mum she is very resistant too so not sure how tomorrow will go but fingers crossed we can get things started off at last

Mumof3kids

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks for your replies xxx
@Bunpoots that makes me feel a bit better about going in and possibly not saying the right things and missing things if there's other chances down the line. I suppose first appointment is to get ball rolling, also as its mums appointment gp may not want to hear from me so much as her really, I'll jot a few things down just in case gp does ask me or mum asks me to explain for her so I have something to refer to.
As you say @Pete1 I don't want to embarrass mum and make things harder for her so don't really want to blurt out loads of examples and things in front of her. She's already said when I told her about the appointment she didn't want me going in telling them she was mental, which I never would, and I told her that she's not mental as she puts it, she has a problem with her memory and brain it's not a choice, it's not her fault, it's just a medical thing just like she has a problem with her eyes.
If she does agree to go tomorrow she will probably be the same as your mum and ask me what she's going for and what to say while we wait to go in. Last christmas she had been suffering with a uti for weeks and when finally she agreed to go to gp and we finally got an appointment she asked in the car and again in the waiting room what am I here for? And what do I say?
It was quite funny in a way as the reason she had put off going to gps for so long with it was because she thought they would pick up on her memory problems (which she was already having then though not as bad as now) and chuck her in a home and she didn't need one as she wasn't that bad. Yet she couldn't remember what she was there for and thought she was bad enough they might notice :)
@Mumof3kids Your dad sounds like my mum she is very resistant too so not sure how tomorrow will go but fingers crossed we can get things started off at last
@annielou the main reason for my dad's resistence in the early stages of visiting the doc/memory clinic was because he thought they would take his driving licence off him. It used to be hell going and I used to dread it with a passion. A few years down the line dad has just stopped driving (due to other factors with my mum's mobility) naturally so thankfully we never reached the point when he was told he was no longer able to drive. We have learned to try and not worry about what may happen in the future .... just deal with things day to day.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I always placed myself slightly behind The Banjoman but where the Dr. could see me nodding or shaking my head depending on what The Babjoman was saying. They usually picked up on that pretty quickly and eventually the GP requested that I always went with him to any appointment. I was also in a position to add things to what had or hadn’t been said.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Yep placing yourself behind so you can indicate otherwise great .
Ask for the surgery’s email address at the appointment
Should also be available in contact details.
You can email your concerns at a later time & also use your posts as a prompt or diary for issues.
It’s frightening when you start to list them all but don’t skimp on the facts
Ps.
My mums on memantine & it’s made a positive difference already.
Getting help doesn’t always have to mean care homes etc but carers are a good compromise.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thank you x thats a good idea. I will see if I can sit so mum isnt looking straight at me but so doctor can see me if possible.
Last time we went to gps the spare chair was on doctors side of table off to one side, which seemed an odd place so hopefully thats not the norm.
I'm so nervous today, hoping mum will come in, hoping it goes ok and doesn't upset mum too much, hoping gp nice, hoping I handle it ok. Hoping mums tummy doesnt get upset like it has a tendency to a lot of the time when we're going anywhere. Hoping she forgives me for doing this.
Thank you for all the replies x I'll try to post later how it goes X

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Well we got mum to the gps. She has to go back for blood and urine tests next week to rule out any other causes and then will be referred to the memory clinic so at least we're on the way now.
It wasn't a smooth road, but I didn't really expect it to be. As soon as mum knew where we were going she said she didn't want to go, and all the usual things we had when its been mentioned before, including it's only me that thinks there's a problem and I just want to stick her in a home!
This hurts as I've stopped doing a lot of things I enjoy and given up a lot of my time, changed my day to day life to be there for mum more and more, and if i just wanted rid of her I wouldn't be going to see her so much and thinking and worrying about her most of the time. I know deep down its just her lashing out as she scared about whats happening and doesn't want to face it, but it still hurts doesn't it.
In the end she did say she'd go but told me not to go telling them lots of stuff and making out she's mental because I always make things out they're worse than they are.
She kept asking what they'd do? I explained what I thought would happen, from what I had been told on here so thank you for you replies about what happens x
She seemed happier knowing and thinking they wouldn't put her straight in a home today but still thought that would happen and it would be horrible no matter what we said. Then she told me if I told them she was mental she'd kill me and that she'd never forgive me and that she'd never talk to me again.
She kept asking what they would ask her and hubby and I both said we didn't know. She must have been trying to figure it out because then she started asking her address, and later her age. I told her I couldn't tell her as if those were gps question it would defeat the object.She wasn't impressed I wouldn't tell her any answers and called me a pain.
We were surprised how resourceful she was in her effort to make it look like she was fine because she rummaged through her bag in the back of the car and must have found something because later said oh '999 letsbi avenue' ( ;) she said her own address really)
She was still asking questions and warning me off telling the doctor anything while we were waiting to go in but was also saying she wanted me to go in with her.
When we went in and gp asked what was wrong, mum said 'you'd better ask her' and sort of sneered at me over her shoulder as I had sat at the side of her but she was faced towards doctor away from me.The gp asked me so I said mum was forgetting things and getting mixed up. She'd said I could make an appointment but now she doesn't want to come. So gp then asked mum what did she think and mum said she was fine and she was functioning.
She asked her a few things like was she managing to do stuff around the house and shopping, mum said oh yes I'm doing my work fine, (i shook my head) and she helps with my shopping, are you eating ok, not bad, am not brill but not bad (more head shaking) she said yes fine to whatever doctor asked. She asked if mum lived on her own and Mum said yes and she asked if was alright on her own so mum said mm, well she was on her a own and that was lonely, she saw us a lot, most days but she spent a lot of time on her own and that doesn't help when you're lonely.
Gp asked if she could ask us what we had noticed, mum took a while to answer n so she said sometimes we can think we're doing ok but other people close to us notice things we don't so then mum said ok I suppose so, but glared at me over her shoulder. Feeling very uncomfortable and aware mum was listening and really didn't want me to say anything I did find it hard to answer.
I said she was forgetting things and getting mixed up, a few times she couldn't remember where she lived and had forgotten her house and my house, she'd got upset over locking up and had thought she had lost her keys outside when they were there next to her and she was inside with doors locked and had got so upset a couple of times we'd had her to stay with us cos she was scared to be on her own and she had asked a few times what her job was. Mum chipped in at that and said she hadn't said that. I thought I better hurry up so picking up on one of things Gp asked mum about that mum had answered wrongly I added that she wasn't doing her housework either unless I told her about it.
Gp then asked if mum ever left things on in the kitchen, I said not that we're aware of. And if she'd ever got lost or confused when out somewhere, I said she doesn't go out much at moment but a few months ago when we were going out regularly to the same places I had to tell her where to cross as she would try to go wrong way. She said so she's usually out with other people not on her own. I said yes she lost her confidence and not been out on her own for ages.
She then asked mum a few questions. One was her address that mum had figured out in car, her d/o/b which for some reason mum always knows but doesnt know her age. The day, I was sure she wouldn't know that as mum is forever asking but she did!!! Mind you she had asked us outside in waiting room and while waiting for us to answer someone else out there said it.
Gp asked her to remember an address and said would ask her it again at end. She carried on with few more questions, who queen was and which number both of which mum knew, asked what she was and where we were which mum knew, I thought gosh she's doing well here and going to pass this.
But then asked her to name surgery, which mum didn't know and said she'd never been there before, which she has but not many times admittedly. What year first world war was, mum didn't know (mind you neither did I cos I'm terrible at history but it is something mum would have known before), the year and date, didn't know those, guess what time it was, mum guessed wrong, then asked her to spell a word backwards which she did slowly and count from 20 backwards, mum seemed not to understand what that meant but then when got it started ok from 20 to 11 and then faltered a few times on last 10. She then asked her to tell her what the address was she had asked mum to remember, mum couldn't, she asked her to giver a clue the first word, gp said it was a street and mum said oh no I don't know that.
Gp said she was with us and thought mum could do with further tests for her memory and wanted to refer to member of memory team for further tests which mum did not look happy about. Gp said if mum was willing to go for those and then if they did turn out to be nothing then she could show us. And if she did have a problem it was better to find it out earlier rather than later and see if they could slow it down somewhat or deal with it to help her. So mum said ok if you think so.
Gp explained about going back for blood n urine sample to be tested which she was pretty sure wouldn't show anything but had to do them to rule out other causes and then would refer her onto a member of memory team who could do some more tests etc. Unfortunately while describing who would see mum for memory tests she said would be a nurse from mental health team, mums shoulders raised at the world mental as she keeps saying she's mental, we think she's mental, and they'll put her in home cos she's mental :( But in the end we got through it and mum let me make appointment for tests next week and agreed to referral, whether she'll stick to that i don't know but she at least agreed so far.
Hubby was surprised by how with it mum was in the appointment, I must say she answered much better than I thought she would and was quite convincing. I told hubby what I had read about peoples survival mechanism clicking in and being able to appear more with it for a while, I think I saw it called host mode on here and she did seem to be in that at the appointment.
Afterwards she was very quiet and seemed exhausted and then later started asking questions about was she going home to her house, could she still live there, they hadn't said she couldn't live there yet had they, would she still be ok on her own and when would they put her in a home. We did our best to reassure her that things were just as there were for now and hopefully she'd be able to stay as she is but with some help. for once she did seem open to idea of carers if they were suggested. She seemed more settled although did go back to questions every so often during next couple of hours of visiting us.
Later after she had been home a while she rung up to ask if she lived there alone and said she had been looking for her mum, but that was daft because she had been dead years hadn't she. When I asked if she was ok, she said yes just seemed odd her being on her own and she needed to get used to it. She asked how long she had lived on her own and in that house. After answering I asked if she felt ok there and safe and she said yes I'm all locked up and said she knew it was her house and recognised it. She said she'd be ok there and was saying bye so I told her to ring me again if wanted to ask anything or if needed me. She said she would but thought she'd be ok.
I did think today would unsettle her, it must have been a big scary day for her, I know it has for me so probably doubly so for her so I'm hoping she will be ok.

Last edited:

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Well done @annielou you managed that really well & were well prepared. I hope all goes as well with the tests & memory clinic appointment.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Result! What a brilliant outcome from the appointment and mum's GP seems to have a perfect grasp of the situation.
From what you write, I think deep down your mum is aware that something is not quite right, which is frightening her, and this is your opportunity to turn a daunting time into a positive experience.

If you can emphasize that at this stage the doctors are just running routine tests to rule out any underlying symptoms (there may be none), but if there is a problem, it is best sorted in the early stages and there will be plenty of advice once the outcome of the tests are known.

Reassure her that she will still be able to live in her house, as that seems to be her chief concern, and there will be help available, when she need it, to keep her independent for as long as she wants.

What you are facing up to with your mum seems scary, but actually the doctor will just put a name to a problem you already know exists. Once the diagnosis is out in the open, life will go on, but the wondering will stop and you can look squarely and plan for the future.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @annielou, that is a big first step, it is an extremely stressful day for all concerned, it is good that you recognize that Mum is lashing out as she is frightened - you have the daunting task of putting her through things that she won't be comfortable with to improve her long term future. As I alluded to my Mum did unexpectedly well at the GP surgery basic tests, the memory clinic are a little more challenging and are actually assigned a score as a baseline for future measurement. It does sound at that window of time your Mum became more open to the suggestion of help, which sounds like it is needed, as much as a support to you and the family too. Assuming Mum hasn't got an infection or other underlying cause it does sound like sun-downing - my Mum would ring up saying the same thing about her Mum, so it is not unusual, although it is quite unsettling when you hear it. With my Mum you could actually set your watch by it ....I would be sitting with her and she would be talking quite normally then at 16.30 she would look around the room and asked where this place was. However, if you know that is the more challenging time of the day you can work a care plan to include support at that time - and carers can be made aware of the situation and deliver an agreed approach.I do feel for you all, but there is a big positive - step 1 complete!
All the best.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh, that was very well done and it sounds like the GP is well on the ball.
Your comments about Hostess Mode are spot on - that is exactly what was happening in front of the GP. PWDs cant maintain it for long as it takes a lot of effort and they are always tired and more confused afterwards

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Well done @annielou

As someone else said, keep reassuring your mum that she won’t be put into a home if she gets a diagnosis of dementia. Naming the condition won’t make it worse.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
If you mum is open to the idea of carers go for it, better get her used to them than leave it till later.

Glad it worked out ok for you all :)

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thanks for all the replies and advice given since I joined last week it's been a great help. xxx
It did help me and hubby having an idea of how the gp appointment and sequence of events were likely to go and I could also tell mum a bit before we went too which seemed to help her as well.
I'm so glad we got there even if it was upsetting with the way mum was resisting and acting before and during the appointment, I admit I was annoyed and upset at her for it, but I can also understand why and don't really blame her for it. That's one hurdle down at least, feels like there's lots more being put up on an unending line of them but at least we got over one x