Holiday insurance

smobbsy

Jun 8, 2017
Hello,

I am getting married abroad next year in Portugal and trying to sort out travel insurance for my mum she is 57 and got diagnosed with Alzheimer's the end of last year. My dad has been trying to get quotes but with not much luck and getting very stressed so I want to try and give him some information that might help. Anyone know of any companies that will cover the Alzheimer's?
Thankyou
Smobbsy

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there

I travelled with my husband for a lot of years after his diagnosis. I used Staysure and Flexicover. Other members have used a variety of other insurers and I think you might find them in this discussion -

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/holiday-insurance-advice.103422/

The main thing is that you have to declare the dementia as a medical condition. There will be a fee to pay for the medical declaration but I had no problems getting insurance. I even had to claim on it once when I had to cancel a holiday.

Good luck with the wedding!

smobbsy

Jun 8, 2017
Thankyou so much it's good to know that there are companies that will insure the condition. Just really don't want my mum to miss out she is really looking forward to the wedding and the holiday! She really needs a break and it's good as there will be around 50 family members/friends around to help out and make her feel comfortable. Hopefully I can give this information to my dad and it will help him. He is quite negative at the moment and thinks that everything is up against them so hopefully by getting his sorted that will be one less thing for him to worry about

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There will be a fee to pay for the medical declaration but I had no problems getting insurance

I had no excess levied because of dementia, I supplied a GP's note of 'nil events over the last 6 months', stupid because it was for a 12 month insurance.

smobbsy

Jun 8, 2017
I had no excess levied because of dementia, I supplied a GP's note of 'nil events over the last 6 months', stupid because it was for a 12 month insurance.
That's good to know obviously don't want it to be horrendously expensive if we can help it but if it's between that and mum not being able to come will definately pay whatever it takes for her to be there :) nice that we have something positive for her to look forward to

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It wasn't an access levied because of dementia. It was just the small fee payable for any medical condition. It was the same with every website I looked at.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It wasn't an access levied because of dementia. It was just the small fee payable for any medical condition. It was the same with every website I looked at.

Strange, I never found that.

To the OP, you say holiday insurance for next year, for anybody with a progressive medical condition short term insurance can be cheaper ,or maybe only available, compared with annual insurance.

Slight change of topic, it's a lot cheaper for me to take out 'near the date' individual polices for trips to France with my daughter compared with an annual policy because of my age. No problem with loss on transport costs, it's 'a car plus two' on the ferry.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Short trips - yes there came a time I couldn't get annual insurance for Bill. On another note - I'm off to France a week on Friday! I won't hijack. I'll post on my diamonds thread!

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
127 ish for 85 y old w dementia for 10 days in Europe. Had to declare we would not leave him unattended.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
127 ish for 85 y old w dementia for 10 days in Europe. Had to declare we would not leave him unattended.
Hi mancmum if you don't mind me asking who is that with. Need one for OH I have been quoted ridiculous prices. ..

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Insurance is good but the only advise worth taking is from someone who's made a claim.
On paper my; house, car and life insurance are all good and I do shop around on price, but until you make a claim you never know.
There are some horror stories out there about people who make a claim but never said they had their appendix taken out 50 years ago so the claim is invalidated.
I can get a piece of paper saying I'm insured but the real issue is what happens if you make a claim? Anyone who never made a claim on the insurance just assumes it's good, real life and exclusion clauses have taught me otherwise.
K

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I made a claim through Staysure. I had to cancel a holiday because Bill was not fit to travel following being in hospital with pneumonia. I had done the medical declaration and declared dementia and past chest infections. My claim was settled. I think there was an excess but I knew that when I took out the policy. I was happy with the result.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
I have used Insure and Go twice and the were very competitive compared with Staysure. Give them a try online, you’ll be surprised.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I discovered too that if you didn't sign up with a company right away they would usually email you a 10% or 15% discount! My experience was that if I filled in the online form for a quote then didn't go ahead for a few days after they sent it they contacted me with a discount code!

2ofus

Mar 7, 2016
Hello,

I am getting married abroad next year in Portugal and trying to sort out travel insurance for my mum she is 57 and got diagnosed with Alzheimer's the end of last year. My dad has been trying to get quotes but with not much luck and getting very stressed so I want to try and give him some information that might help. Anyone know of any companies that will cover the Alzheimer's?
Thankyou
Smobbsy
Hi I use an online insurance called fish declared everything illness wise and got insured with no problems encountered for both of us at reasonable cost

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Sorry to come to this one so late.

My wife recently found Insurancewith. We were looking for cover for cancer, rather than dementia. I already had my cover with staysure.

The good thing with Insurancewith is that rather than charge huge premiums they load up the excess. So you do pay a lot if you make a claim, but its near 'normal' if you don't.
We came back from Christmas holiday having paid really very little for her.

I will be looking at them for dementia cover next time. I've never yet made a claim.

smobbsy

Jun 8, 2017
That's brilliant help Thankyou very much.
They have managed to get some insurance for a holiday they have just gone on but I will let them know about the other one for their next holiday.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi I have a diagnose of Dementia nineteen year almost I have taking out Insurance every one of those years with various companies never had a problem I use GetGoing now 15% discount online the Medical Questions below
my answers are 1 (Never) 2(No) & 3(No) there is No additional charge

Do you require assistance with dressing or eating or washing?
Never
Sometimes but not every day
Every day
Do you require more assistance or supervision than you did six months ago?
Yes
No
When you travel will you always be accompanied by someone you know?
Yes
No
Mr xxxxxx 00/00/1943 Lead Traveler Screened Condition(s)
Included / Excluded

Alzheimer's
Additional Premium £0.00