Holiday insurance advice.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Morning all hope you all ok, just a quickie hope someone can point me towards an insurance company where I can get a holiday quote for OH . He has vas.dementia /Alzheimer's plus other medical conditions. ....

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I'm sure others might know better...but I have a feeling that you can access quotes through Age Uk? We have just started taking Saga holidays as my husbands age and illness make it a nightmare to get reasonable quotes and insurance is included with their holidays.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
I'm sure others might know better...but I have a feeling that you can access quotes through Age Uk? We have just started taking Saga holidays as my husbands age and illness make it a nightmare to get reasonable quotes and insurance is included with their holidays.

Hi Amethyst 59, Thankyou for info,I have this morning been looking at quotes with compare. The cheapest is £417. Omg that's ridiculous. Saga is the first on the list at that price going up to £1000. He has quite a few medical conditions other than dementia. There must be cheaper. Will look at Age U.K. Thanks again .have good weekend,....

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
I used Staysure or Flexicover. As with all insurance companies you have to fill in a separate medical declaration and pay for that. The questions are quite basic and the same ones are used for all of the companies.

This is Staysure's page on the topic but a lot of companies will offer the same -

https://www.staysure.co.uk/travel-i...=yieldifymed&gclid=CNXo8Ma60dUCFdaRGwod6R0DWg

Thankyou Izzy, will try them. I have just phoned an insurance company went through everything only to be told the policy was declined. .... not good.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I also used Staysure and found it very good on price etc. Didn't have to call on it so dont know if it or any of them live up to expectations.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I did a "go compare" search, added in the medical details for mum & picked the one I thought was best. I had to phone before leaving as I'd missed something, the lady told me it was mums age more than anything that increased the policy price, Alz made no difference in price, but, I did complete to say I would be with her all the time

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I also used Staysure and found it very good on price etc. Didn't have to call on it so dont know if it or any of them live up to expectations.

I did have to call on one of my policies. I think it was the Flexicover one. I had booked a holiday and Bill went in to hospital a month or so we were due to go. As the holiday approached it became clear that it would be foolish to go ahead. The company was very good. I seem to recall that there was an excess I had to pay but I had the test refunded.

Last edited:

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Thankyou for all the comments. I think it best I wait for the results of the heart scan he had the other day. As one insurance company asked if he had been to hospital lately for any tests & was he waiting for any results which he is.

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
I tried Staysure and found them expensive. I then tried Insure and Go and they were more competitive but I suppose it all depends what medical conditions you want covered. It's worth giving them a try though.

Last edited:

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
I used staysure last year. Had to pay extra for oh but at least we were covered. Other companies I looked at wouldn't cover dementia and as you all will realise that gives them a loop hole to get out of practically everything!

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
Morning all hope you all ok, just a quickie hope someone can point me towards an insurance company where I can get a holiday quote for OH . He has vas.dementia /Alzheimer's plus other medical conditions. ....

Hi Beads, just picked up on your thread, just got back from holiday in Spain with my husband and family. Apart from Alz/vasc dementia my husband has high cholesterol / high blood pressure and had a triple heart bypass Nov '15 and we have no problems with our hol insurance which is through our bank account with Barclays. I do hope you get everything sorted and are able to get away for a holiday. We are lucky we are still able to do so, it really lifts the spirit & gives renewed energy for this battle we are all enduring

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi Beads, just picked up on your thread, just got back from holiday in Spain with my husband and family. Apart from Alz/vasc dementia my husband has high cholesterol / high blood pressure and had a triple heart bypass Nov '15 and we have no problems with our hol insurance which is through our bank account with Barclays. I do hope you get everything sorted and are able to get away for a holiday. We are lucky we are still able to do so, it really lifts the spirit & gives renewed energy for this battle we are all enduring
Hi Hopeful, Thankyou for that, I hope you had a brilliant time sounds like you did.Yes it does fill you with renewed energy because we certainly need it.I have today gone on comparison site & had some fantastic quotes so think I am sorted now. Really appreciate your response though. Yes you just never know how much longer we are able to take them abroad.

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
Try ALLCLEAR. they are on-line. They gave us an annual multi trip policy at a very reasonable price. They also do single trip. Good luck.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Try ALLCLEAR. they are on-line. They gave us an annual multi trip policy at a very reasonable price. They also do single trip. Good luck.

Thankyou Littlebear will have a look . Already got some good quotes but will look anyway.

Debs42

Jan 27, 2013
try Boots

I have recently got a very competitive quote from Boots, for a week in Crete.
Alzheimers doesn't seem to be much of an issue for them, as long as you can say that someone will be with them all the time, but in my husband's case it was more the psychosis that was the stumbling block with some companies. He takes olanzapine and somehow the systems seem to be programmed to assume that means he has schizophrenia.
if you have a Boots Advantage card you get points too!

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
I have recently got a very competitive quote from Boots, for a week in Crete.
Alzheimers doesn't seem to be much of an issue for them, as long as you can say that someone will be with them all the time, but in my husband's case it was more the psychosis that was the stumbling block with some companies. He takes olanzapine and somehow the systems seem to be programmed to assume that means he has schizophrenia.
if you have a Boots Advantage card you get points too!

Thankyou Debs42 pleased you got a good quote. I will have a look online thanks again....

Harley Davidson

Jul 9, 2009
Holiday

Just got a very good holiday insurance quote from getgoing.com
I have a few medical conditions and it covers my husbands alzheimers. Very impressed

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan