Hoists - experiences, recommendations etc

Ellen D

Mar 6, 2012
Hi All, we need to get a hoist to assist with getting dad in/out of bed for washing and changing at home as he is completely immobile. It will be situated in a fairly spacious lounge. Any recommendations? Also should he have some kind of community care assessment or Occupational Therapist round to assess and go through and demonstrate options?
Thank you.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Hello Ellen.

I would say you should get in touch with Social Services and ask them to send their OT to assess. I was once told that this should be done quickly as it is a Health & Safety issue. However, whether that only applies to paid carers I have never found out. Although if you were to do yourself an injury then Dad's care would become their problem.

Definitely think you should call them.

Mary

Ellen D

Mar 6, 2012
Hello Ellen.

I would say you should get in touch with Social Services and ask them to send their OT to assess. I was once told that this should be done quickly as it is a Health & Safety issue. However, whether that only applies to paid carers I have never found out. Although if you were to do yourself an injury then Dad's care would become their problem.

Definitely think you should call them.

Mary

Hi Mary, thanks, we'll get onto SS to clarify. Ellen

Pacucho

Ellen

Further to Mary's message I can confirm that you need an OT to do an urgent assessment so that they can establish what type of hoist you need to help your father, and they will provide it free of charge.

An issue that is likely to be raised is whether you are qualified to use the hoist. I cared for my mum at home and got round this issue by saying that we had carers come in a couple of times a day, who would use it. But iut would be good to be shown how to use it as well. By the end I became just as much of an expert in the use of the hoist as the carers.

If you get fobbed off by Social Services pleasdse try again and stress the urgency and health and safety issues here.
Hope this helps

Paco