Hello, new to the forum.

Sunshine62

May 6, 2024
Hi, is anyone else a carer fro a partner with Parkinson’s Dementia? My husband was diagnosed 5 years ago, aged 56 with Parkinson’s and 3 years ago with dementia. He doesn’t speak any longer, maybe a few words but rarely makes any sense, he hums sometimes during the night and thankfully his mobility is not too bad. Just wondered if anyone else is on the Parkinson’s dementia journey too!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome from me, sorry personally I can't help, however, Parkinson's gets a lot of mentions on here I've noticed.
Whether there is a connection between the 2 conditions I don't know other than they both mainly affect the older age group.
Interesting question. K

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My understanding @Kevinl is Parkinson's disease
can develop Parkinson's dementia. Lewy Body dementia can develop Parkinsonism ,which is the same symptoms as Parkinson's. Depends on which was first.
My oh is to see the neurologist in September as he was initially diagnosed as mixed Alzheimer's / Lewy body but is now showing signs of Parkinson's.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Parkinson’s disease was considered by his GP before The Banjoman was diagnosed with Lewy Body Disease/Dementia.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
The main difference between the two types of Lewy body dementia is when certain symptoms first occur:

Dementia with Lewy bodies – changes in thinking, visual perception (cognitive symptoms) and sleep may be experienced first and difficulty with movement (Parkinsonian symptoms) – occur at the same time or later

Parkinson’s dementia – Parkinsonian symptoms are experienced first followed by cognitive changes. Not everyone with Parkinson’s will go onto develop dementia but the risk of developing dementia is increased
As the condition progresses both people with dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson’s dementia tend to have similar symptoms and will have increasing difficulty with managing everyday tasks.

Info copied from Lewy Body Dementia website