1. Rosettastone57

Rosettastone57 Registered User

Oct 27, 2016
    If post is going missing and you have power of attorney for finance and property you can get the post redirected to you

2. trying too hard!

trying too hard! New member

Aug 28, 2019
    This is almost a relief to read. We also have lots going 'missing'.

Mum has demetia- I would say moderate to bad- no longer deemed to have capacity. Dad has recently also been diagnosed with 'early ischaemic changes to the brain, vascular dementia'.
    In the spring the ear mould from one of my Mum's hearing aids disappeared out of the box overnight. Dad insisted Mum has hidden it. It was taken out after she went to bed, and not there in the morning before the carer got her up. A week later the whole of the other one went. Again, clearly, according to Dad, she has hidden it.
    They have not turned up.
    He has also told me that the carer's steal things. Evidence is, in his mind, that 'they put things in the washing machine'

Lot's of other stuff has vanished, but despite hunting, failed to reappear.
    I spend too much time hunting for the bits he thinks we did not buy- we did- or that the carers have 'thrown away' - they haven;'t. Sometimes I find the stuff....

3. vicx

vicx Registered User

Sep 11, 2017
    It's oh so familiar, my mum is very paranoid. Most days burglars have been in her house and stolen her handbag , purse, teeth, keys etc. I do laugh, as recently she claimed a burglar had been in and eaten her bread and jam, strangely her teeth were missing too, so we could only assume the burglar had eaten the bread and jam but he needed her dentures to eat it. She obviously didn't see the humour in this.

4. Rosserk

Rosserk Registered User

Jul 9, 2019
    #44 Rosserk, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019

Tried this and quest what she found the key fobs and hid them!! She took them out of her bag first! I’m going to try and sew one into the lining if I can get her bag for long enough! lol

5. MrsV

MrsV Registered User

Apr 16, 2018
    Hi Sirena,

Regarding receipts. The thing is Mums still living independently, she spends her money as she wishes at the moment. We try to keep any eye on it, but she draws cash out and we have no idea where it goes, as it disappears and reappears in her purse. We cant be responsible for her money all the time. Also she's taken out for meals by her partner (they dont live together - he comes certain days of the week) so we have to ensure she has cash in her purse, and cash to pay for her groceries when he takes her shopping, day's out etc. So we have no record of any of that.

6. MrsV

MrsV Registered User

Apr 16, 2018

Hi Jaded & Faded,
    Your post 'Handbag gate' sounds a little like our Mum. Mums handbag is stuffed with around 20 tissues, leaflets that have come through the door, toenail clippers (2 pairs), a couple of razors, about 10 pens, ALL her make up, several combs, brushes, knickers, socks. But nothing else. very bizarre

7. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    That's fine, I just meant that when you buy something with her money, as you did when you paid the locksmith, you should keep a receipt. When my mother was still living at home both she and I had access to her account. I kept receipts for anything I paid for on her behalf - carers, clothes, electrical appliances, vet bills. She took cash out for her shopping and visits to hairdresser etc, obviously I had no receipts for that.

However I would continue to keep an eye on the amount she is withdrawing. My mother was fairly abstemious and would take out regular amounts each week. When I registered the LPA, the bank asked if I wanted her to continue to have access to the account, and I said yes because there was no worrying financial activity. I would have rescinded her access if large amounts started to go missing.