Hiding things.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Hi Sirena,

Regarding receipts. The thing is Mums still living independently, she spends her money as she wishes at the moment. We try to keep any eye on it, but she draws cash out and we have no idea where it goes, as it disappears and reappears in her purse. We cant be responsible for her money all the time. Also she's taken out for meals by her partner (they dont live together - he comes certain days of the week) so we have to ensure she has cash in her purse, and cash to pay for her groceries when he takes her shopping, day's out etc. So we have no record of any of that.

That's fine, I just meant that when you buy something with her money, as you did when you paid the locksmith, you should keep a receipt. When my mother was still living at home both she and I had access to her account. I kept receipts for anything I paid for on her behalf - carers, clothes, electrical appliances, vet bills. She took cash out for her shopping and visits to hairdresser etc, obviously I had no receipts for that.

However I would continue to keep an eye on the amount she is withdrawing. My mother was fairly abstemious and would take out regular amounts each week. When I registered the LPA, the bank asked if I wanted her to continue to have access to the account, and I said yes because there was no worrying financial activity. I would have rescinded her access if large amounts started to go missing.