Hi

FeeBee61

Apr 25, 2024
Hi my mum has dementia and was recently in hospital for 12 weeks they have sent her home now unable to walk . I wanted to get her into a care home but other family member disagreed but is insisting someone be with mum 24/7. I am struggling with this as it's a long day with noone else to speak to and mum doesnt really talk. Am i being mean looking for mum to go into full tine care ?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @FeeBee61 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. You are not being mean for wanting your mum to go into full time care, no one can cope with the level of care that you are undertaking at present. If the other members do not want your mum to go into care they should be looking after her.
I would suggest that you get into contact with your local adult social services and let them know that you can no longer care for your mum and ask for an urgent assessment regarding her care needs.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome from me also @FeeBee61 to this friendly and supportive forum.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. You are not being mean at all, and as has already been said, if other family members disagree with her going into a care home, then they should be the ones who do the looking after her. This is not fair on you at all.
Do please get social services involved for an urgent assessment for your Mum and her care needs as @SeaSwallow has suggested. You cannot keep struggling as you are. It is simply unsustainable.