Hi

Chants14

Apr 10, 2024
My Mum's had alzeimer's for about 8 years. My aunt has moved in with her but is finding her increasingly difficult to care for her, I have a full time job and 3 children and help with mum at the weekends. I'm also her social calendar and do a lot of organising. We're not sure of our next steps. We want her to be at home as long as possible but I'm not sure my aunt can care for her for much longer. Any advice?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Chants14 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your mum's Alzheimer's diagnosis and that your aunt is finding it harder to look after your mum.

I think that you have almost answered your own question when you say that you are not sure how much longer your aunt can look after your mum. Even if you were to get carers in place through the social services they would usually only agree up to four care visits per day which would amount to a couple of hours per day which would still mean that you aunt has caring responsibility for the rest of the time. The other issue is that Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, so you do not know how things will progress.

If your mum has assets of over £23,250 she would be considered to be self funding and you could start to look for care homes without reference to the social services.

I have attached a couple of links that you might find useful, but if you have any other questions please do get in contact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katyates