Hi, new just had a scan

Orangeblossom

Jun 13, 2024
I'm F, 47 and been referred to the memory clinic after doing some tests with the GP, but the waiting time is 20 weeks.

I've had a CT scan which showed mild global brain atrophy but the GP 'thinks it is normal'. Is it?
I read atrophy is not normal changes. Feeling a bit worried as I have a family history on both sides.

Also have a copy off the APOE4 gene

Also my husband thinks I'm ok, I think he finds it hard to talk about, although he does get a bit fed up with my memory, as I do.

Can I go to the memory clinic alone? and maybe take notes. Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Orangeblossom.

I’m so sorry you have this long wait for the memory clinic. It must be worrying for you. I understand that your husband may find it hard to talk about but I really do think it would be better for him to be at the memory clinic with you. I was with my husband when he was diagnosed. I think it needed two of us to take in what was being said. Also he will be much better prepared to support you if he is there during the visit.

I’m glad you have found this forum. I hope you feel less alone here. There is always someone here to listen and you’ll find support and understanding.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Welcome from me also @Orangeblossom to this friendly and supportive forum. I'm glad you have found us.

It is such a lottery it seems, dependent on whereabouts you live, as to what the wait time for a memory clinic appointment is. It is worrying for you, I totally understand. @Izzy has already given sound advice which I cannot really add to. Wishing you and your husband strength as you go through this difficult time.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You'll be fine, but please get it checked out properly.
At 47 it could be nothing more than the menopause (sorry and all) but my wife used to call it "baby brains" when went through it.
Few years later she did get AZ but coincidence doesn't prove causality.
Read all you want on here but don't assume the worst just because of relatives.
Take care. K

Orangeblossom

Jun 13, 2024
Welcome to the forum @Orangeblossom.

I’m so sorry you have this long wait for the memory clinic. It must be worrying for you. I understand that your husband may find it hard to talk about but I really do think it would be better for him to be at the memory clinic with you. I was with my husband when he was diagnosed. I think it needed two of us to take in what was being said. Also he will be much better prepared to support you if he is there during the visit.

I’m glad you have found this forum. I hope you feel less alone here. There is always someone here to listen and you’ll find support and understanding.
Thanks for the message, they have booked me in now for in around a month so that is not too long to wait.

Orangeblossom

Jun 13, 2024
You'll be fine, but please get it checked out properly.
At 47 it could be nothing more than the menopause (sorry and all) but my wife used to call it "baby brains" when went through it.
Few years later she did get AZ but coincidence doesn't prove causality.
Read all you want on here but don't assume the worst just because of relatives.
Take care. K
Thanks yes I am wondering about this too, they have me on some HRT but it doesn't seem to be helping with the memory problems.

Orangeblossom

Jun 13, 2024
Welcome from me also @Orangeblossom to this friendly and supportive forum. I'm glad you have found us.

It is such a lottery it seems, dependent on whereabouts you live, as to what the wait time for a memory clinic appointment is. It is worrying for you, I totally understand. @Izzy has already given sound advice which I cannot really add to. Wishing you and your husband strength as you go through this difficult time.
Thanks for the kind reply, best wishes