Hi, I'm Lexa, and live in Canada.

Lexa

Mar 4, 2024
My mom has dementia, although she has not been diagnosed as such. She is in a senior residence in "independent living" and gets some daily assistance. The home has next level care: "assissted living" and then the "memory floor" which is a locked area. I live about a 3 hour trip from the home which includes a ferry ride (there are no suitable care facilities in my small remote town). I am an only child, and the only one who visits my mom. I am struggling with guilt, frustration, sorrow, indecision, and confusion over mom's condition. I am hoping to find some guidance and support from this group! Thanks in advance.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well, hello and welcome Lexa, just so you know you're posting on a UK site so there is a time difference, and that may affect times people post, that said caring is universal and doesn't recognise international borders or time zones so post away when you're ready.
All here to help k

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Lexa.

I am struggling with guilt, frustration, sorrow, indecision, and confusion over mom's condition. I am hoping to find some guidance and support from this group!

First of all get rid of the guilt. None of this is your fault.

This is a dreadful illness and although most of us can take full responsibility for partners, not as many can take the same responsibility for parents especially if they cannot find suitable residential care in their locality.

As your mom`s condition deteriorates she will need to be kept safe which is why she may be moved from independent to assisted living and eventually to the memory floor.

All this is in your mum`s best interests.

Be sad and full of sorrow for your mom . It`s only natural. It is very difficult to make necessary decisions which is why you are confuses.

. We all try to hold on that little bit longer to what deep down we know is the eventual outcome.

The priority is to keep your mom safe, clean, fed and cared for and try to believe you are doing the best you can for her.