help with what day it is.. bracelet?

edwardbs

Jul 30, 2014
Lichfield Staffs
does he want the watch

i feel lost to say the least without a date to call the day is today wednesday or not?
What should i be doing it is a feeling of your brain slowly disolving and which bit will go next and why cant i spell any more?and i am only 61 what waits for me in 20 years time. we feel we MUST HANG ON TO SOMETHING you all seem to be talking about those a generation older than me it scares me we forget what we are holding but we must hold on so we ask again and again worse i know i just looked at the timeand the day. but i still know i will forget and will do it again and i should still be at work. at some level how much is known by suffers and how much are they standing outside thenselves watching unaple to stop it.no wonder they are sad
anothe thought occured to my addled brain does mum want a day and time or just to say anything anything the same thing over again might be fine in her world she just might want to hear you talk all the time.tell her what you are doing puting the shopping away in detail and tell her the time aw she asks as though everyone always did that. chat to her as though she was a toddler that you wanted to stay quiet. it might work. it does with children and animals so give it a try. but for a while not just 10 seconds.you dont pick up a baby without speaking to it unles you enjoy tantems so why do we not speak to the demented. not baby talk as in goo goo goo though real words saying things i have vascular dementia
excuse spelling please

AA@AG

Jul 2, 2013
Aa@ag

Hi, im looking for advice on products to help mum to know what day it is. so far we have bought 3 digital style clocks and a wall clock (which she hates and hides it in alcove). to find out what day it is she looks at the daily newspaper.... great if she picks up todays, not so good if she picks up yesterdays.
ive been trawling the internet looking for perhaps a bracelet with the day on. ive found watches, some speak the day and time on a button press but mam wont wear another watch as she likes the one she wears.
anyone got any ideas or info about such a product. i feel sure there must be something like this available.
thanks

Sometimes we feel the need to fix their problem and then when we think we have fixed it we return to find they have reverted to the original situation. Unless you remove the old papers daily this issue may recur. If she is still using the phone she may be happy to ring someone to get the correct day or time. Perhaps the radio is better than the TV? Good Luck finding a watch - have you asked a local social worker or Older peoples charity. The ticking sound may have been an issue for her on the clock that she hid.

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
Vascular Dementia

anothe thought occured to my addled brain does mum want a day and time or just to say anything anything the same thing over again might be fine in her world she just might want to hear you talk all the time.tell her what you are doing puting the shopping away in detail and tell her the time aw she asks as though everyone always did that. chat to her as though she was a toddler that you wanted to stay quiet. it might work. it does with children and animals so give it a try. but for a while not just 10 seconds.you dont pick up a baby without speaking to it unles you enjoy tantems so why do we not speak to the demented. not baby talk as in goo goo goo though real words saying things i have vascular dementia
excuse spelling please

I have VaD also. I am 55. You are 61. I was diagnosed at 47. My mom and many family members have CADASIL. May I ask if you are in a CADASIL family too?

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
Ticking clock

Sometimes we feel the need to fix their problem and then when we think we have fixed it we return to find they have reverted to the original situation. Unless you remove the old papers daily this issue may recur. If she is still using the phone she may be happy to ring someone to get the correct day or time. Perhaps the radio is better than the TV? Good Luck finding a watch - have you asked a local social worker or Older peoples charity. The ticking sound may have been an issue for her on the clock that she hid.

Brilliant observation! i have so much difficulty with sound. I suspect you hit it spot on.

plumbrite66

Apr 18, 2013
nz
Carer Support

Hi i live in a rural town in New Zealand,my wife attends a day care centre in a city 40 mins away twice a week where the staff are great,But due to lack of funding without a long trip or a phone call to someone who is not available if I have a problem I might as well talk to myself,So pity of it is that if you live any distance from a alzheimers centre then to bad,Its all to do with lack of funding and you don't have to be a genius to realise it will not change for a long time yet,Sorry to go on but that's how strongly I feel about it don't no if this is the case elsewhere.

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
Support

Go to Facebook, Memory People, and ask to join. There is worldwide caregiver support there.

Hi i live in a rural town in New Zealand,my wife attends a day care centre in a city 40 mins away twice a week where the staff are great,But due to lack of funding without a long trip or a phone call to someone who is not available if I have a problem I might as well talk to myself,So pity of it is that if you live any distance from a alzheimers centre then to bad,Its all to do with lack of funding and you don't have to be a genius to realise it will not change for a long time yet,Sorry to go on but that's how strongly I feel about it don't no if this is the case elsewhere.

Hobson

Dec 9, 2014
Hereford
My Mum is the same and had used the 'Radio Times' for years to let her know the day but now forgets to turn the page or turns it over twice in a day....
I now use a system called My Home Helper which I am finding brilliant.
It is a Tablet (cheap iPad) and a web based programme that you can access by a tablet phone or PC to write and display messages and reminders and photos on her screen. There is a Skype Function that automatically connects so Mum doesn't have to do/press anything. I can't position it conveniently enough for a very good fav=ce to face but can log in throughout the day to have a peep to see she's OK.

Anyway, the default screen is a clock you can choose the format 24h 12h, clock face ect.
It's not a cheap service front loaded for the first year - I guess till the tablet is paid off. but it has been a great benefit to Mum and Invaluable for piece of mind for me.
I'm too much of a newbie to be allowed to post web links but google my home helper

It might be what you are looking for?
x

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
It is a great loss to my humanity that I can not longer orient to date and time. It seems a small thing, but inside me, really, it hurts... until the next hurty loss. This condition not only makes others treat us as morons, literally, but also I do it myself. "Frustration" is the tip of the iceberg loss. Those of us still here live is a constant state of grieving.

JTSA, thank you thank you for posting on this thread. It really helps me understand better why feeling in control of knowing the day and time is important to my mother, who lives with us. Each time she asks, I try to say it cheerfully. One way I use that seems to help her is if I tell her a little story about the day (it's Tuesday, and your favorite caregiver is coming today, and I thought you might like to watch X on video today). By linking the day/time with her person for the day and an event, I am trying to give her more than just abstract words to go on.

I so appreciate hearing from you about your situation. If we caregivers don't hear about what it feels like on your side of the question, we can't think best about how to make life feel a bit better. My little solution has worked for me here - I have had a conversation with my mother, relating the day/time to events in the day, but I am aware it won't always work.

Thank you spuddle for posting this good question. I might add we have a date/day/time clock (analog) in my mother's room and have had for years. The clock means nothing, because it's just abstract knowledge. Tying the abstraction to concrete knowledge is what has helped my mother.