Help with bathroom problems

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by goodtotalkC, Jun 5, 2015.

1. goodtotalkC

goodtotalkC Registered User

May 2, 2015
    Can anyone help me with my OH need to visit the bathroom ( sometimes with little misses-problems) many times through the night please? Is it mainly anxiety...... as sometimes its only once.(duh!) I just dont know. Just about to take a holiday together and dreading sorting out hotel bathroom etc. Pads dont help as gets confused when removing pants etc as the need arises. any tips gratefully received. I already mark the toilet lid with big arrow pointing at the porcelain ( as they say) but is just a symptom of the dreaded disease .

2. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Morning, goodtotalk.
    Will he not keep the pads on? I mean, that's what they're there for, to get wet! Especially as he's only doing little bits. Would he use a urine bottle? It worked a while for OH and he was happy to use it. When you're at home, a commode? Closer than loo, so might have time to get ready.
    I must admit OH, during the day often had little spills here and there and the floor was regularly scrubbed. If it smells, use a spray designed for pets, that worked for me.
    The other thing is that is there a prostate problem? May be as well getting him checked out by GP. I took OH to continence nurse when he was bad following hospital stay and she suggested no coffee after 18:00 and that worked a treat until dementia took over.

Cheers and enjoy your holiday!

3. malc

malc Registered User

can't you pick up a memo minder and put a reminder on it for him to sit down when using the toilet.

4. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Malc, I know this might work, but not with my OH. Even then ( he's now in a home) he wouldn't read any notice at all!

5. malc

malc Registered User

#5 malc, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    no a memo minder is a motion activated sensor and you put a recording on it ie have you locked the door or i'm only outside or you've had your tea etc.i've got 2 of them,1 in the bedroom and 1 for holidays saying we're on holiday at butlins and don't forget it's no smoking.their on ebay.

6. esmeralda

esmeralda Registered User

Nov 27, 2014
    Devon
    I haven't heard of those Malc, sounds like it might be helpful Thank you. Es
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

7. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    I hadn't heard of these either, so thanks Malc for posting :) Lindy x

8. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

Presumably you have had his prostate checked?

9. malc

malc Registered User

our memo minder is worth it's wait in gold and helps more than anybody could imagine,not expensive either.

10. windflower

windflower Registered User

Jun 7, 2015
    incontinence

what is a memo reminder, what does it do and from where does one buy one
    many thanks
    windflower

11. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Malc has explained above what it is. You might get it for free through your council's telecare department. We did.

12. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    First priority is a visit to the GP. The night-time frequency could be down to a prostate problem or he could have a UTI. Yes, men can get them too and frequency can be the main symptom.

'Missing' is a difficult one but if it's possible to train him to sit down to wee (I know - habit of a lifetime) that's the best solution.