Hello

CaringSpirit

Mar 11, 2024
Hi - to fellow Dementia Support Forum members. I am in the UK with my partner to spend 2024 helping to care for his parents, mother with Alzheimers and father with cognitive decline. We have gradually been introducing them to caters for her daily hygiene and dressing needs. They access a local NHS Gp but this provides mainly medication support.
The hardest thing for me are the endless circular conversation loops and repetitive question. I am an ex teacher so have some skills in brain training.
Any support with conversation….
Thanks

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome.
As a teacher then as time passed your pupils learn from you, here you are managing an almost inevitable decline in the person you're caring for sadly.
It's maybe a bit of a reversal in what used to doing, here you're managing an almost certain decline.
I hope you weren't an English teacher (as in taught English as a subject) my grammar is terrible sometimes. K

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @CaringSpirit and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. I am glad you have found us.
I'm sorry to read about your partner's parents diagnoses. Communication and conversation with a person with dementia can be challenging and sometimes just seemingly impossible!
This link may help with a few ideas:
Members on this forum really do want to help. It's also a great place to just put down how you are feeling, as people here really do understand.