Hello...

Dodo5

Feb 13, 2024
Hello. Firstly I apologise in advance for such a long message... I have joined this forum, as myself and my sister are incredibly worried about our mum, and have been for a while. We also want to understand more about how we can help mum.

Our story:
Our mum is in her early 70s - she lives with my stepdad and our half brother. Myself and my sister have a 'tricky' relationship with our stepdad, and try to keep this amicable because of mum.

We have noticed that within the last year, mum has been more forgetful, has lost a lot of weight, her self-care has deteriorated (she used to have pride in her appearance, especially her hair and this has stopped). She has forgotten many pre-booked hairdresser appointments. My sister raised her concern with our stepdad in the summer, but was told nothing was wrong.

We spoke to our brother in early autumn, again to raise our concern. Our brother said mum sometimes forgets things, but put this down to tiredness. We agreed to meet up again within a fortnight, to discuss what we had noticed about mum during the two weeks. Our brother arranged for mum to have a blood test with her GP. Mum is now taking folic acid tablets as a result. I have a copy of the blood test results.

I spoke to a Dementia Nurse on the telphone for advice in early January. They were really helpful: suggested putting an LPA in place and things to look out for on the blood test and arranging a memory appointment with GP. This information was shared with my brother and stepdad.

Mum was booked in for a memory test with her GP at end of January, following my brother raising our concerns. Mum went on her own, and said she had to do different things and passed all but one test. She said the GP told her they would not need to see her for a year.

During the autumn/early winter, mum has sent concerning text messages: there's a man in the loft, not recognising her husband, referring to her husband as ***'s Mum, and a stranger, 'why is he in my house?' Mum and Stepdad have also been arguing. On my sister's last visit to see our mum, she said she could smell body odour on mum. Mum is also incredibly attached to the family dog, and this has become more apparent recently. Mum is the only one, apart from our brother, who can walk the dog. Mum has slept downstairs with the dog. Mum does not like to leave the dog at home to go out, even if someone else is at home.

We have also discussed LPA many times with my brother during the last year. He has said his dad will deal with it: his dad (our stepdad) will be mum's LPA and vice versa... Today, my stepdad told my sister to 'Drop' the conversations about LPA and not to speak to our mum about it. My sister has spoken to our mum, who has said it is a good idea. We have now received a message from our stepdad, which asks us not to take LPA any further - he said he knows what it is as he arranged one for his dad. I do think it's too late to put LPA in place now, but cannot understand why the reluctance to put one in place for mum. We had suggested that all children are named as mum's LPA, as well as stepdad. We have also sent my brother and stepdad information about LPAs.

If anyone has any advice/comments, I would really appreciate it.

My next steps:
  1. I am going to write to mum's GP with my concerns.
  2. My sister is going to complete the LPA for mum to sign.
  3. Adding a 'find me' tracker on mum's phone for dog walks.
  4. Looking at mum's phone for any update on her GP app re: memory appointment. (Mum does let us use/look at her phone)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There are 2 types of LPA, health and welfare is one, financial is the other.
There are again 2 ways they can be held, jointly or severally.
Jointly you all have to agree, severally any one of you can make a decision,.
An LPA isn't a single thing and so a read on the site here about LPA's might be time well spent.
P.S. Welcome. K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Dodo5 and welcome to the forum

It is actually very common in married couples for the non-dementia spouse to want to protect the spouse with dementia (or suspected dementia) by shielding them from any talk about dementia. It becomes a form of denial. I suspect this is what is happening here. Your step-dad must be aware of the problems, but is choosing to ignore them

I think sending a letter/email to the GP outlining your concerns is a very good idea.
A tracker on her phone would be good too, but only works so long as she always takes her phone with her. The time will come when she will forget, but it may work for a while and with dementia that is often as good as it gets.
I hope you can get POA sorted with your step-dad on board. It will save so many problems later if you can

BTW - re the memory clinic appointment that she went to. The memory clinic wants a close family member/someone who knows them well to attend with them so that the memory clinic can find out about all the symptoms and concerns that have been noted. If your mum went on her own then the clinic would not have complete information. Also, your mums report may well not have been accurate. I went with mum when we were given the diagnosis of Alzheimers, but once we were outside the consulting room mum was convinced that the doctor said that she had nothing wrong with her.

Dodo5

Feb 13, 2024
Hello @Dodo5 and welcome to the forum

It is actually very common in married couples for the non-dementia spouse to want to protect the spouse with dementia (or suspected dementia) by shielding them from any talk about dementia. It becomes a form of denial. I suspect this is what is happening here. Your step-dad must be aware of the problems, but is choosing to ignore them

I think sending a letter/email to the GP outlining your concerns is a very good idea.
A tracker on her phone would be good too, but only works so long as she always takes her phone with her. The time will come when she will forget, but it may work for a while and with dementia that is often as good as it gets.
I hope you can get POA sorted with your step-dad on board. It will save so many problems later if you can

BTW - re the memory clinic appointment that she went to. The memory clinic wants a close family member/someone who knows them well to attend with them so that the memory clinic can find out about all the symptoms and concerns that have been noted. If your mum went on her own then the clinic would not have complete information. Also, your mums report may well not have been accurate. I went with mum when we were given the diagnosis of Alzheimers, but once we were outside the consulting room mum was convinced that the doctor said that she had nothing wrong with her.
Thank you so much for your advice. Mum's 'memory test' was with the GP, after my brother spoke to the surgery. Sorry this wasn't clear in the original post. I agree that mum's report of events may not have been accurate - we thought another family member would be going with her. I'm going to mention the posibility of arranging a memory clinic appointment in my letter to the GP.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Dodo5 and welcome from me. Getting someone with suspected dementia to see their GP is difficult and, unfortunately, a waste of time if they aren't accompanied by someone who can take in all that is said and give a true account. Even with me in the room (and willing to let me speak) my wife's GP took some persuading before she clicked and agreed to a memory clinic referral. The letter from the memory clinic specifically asked for her to be accompanied by a family member.

Diagnosis is of course important but other things such as being able to manage finances are vital. That's why applying for Lasting Power of Attorney whilst the person still has capacity is worth pursuing. There will need to be someone (the Certificate Provider) who can confirm that your mum knows what she is doing and is not being coerced. Your difficult relationship notwithstanding, it would be far easier to achieve this if you can get around your step dad's objections by pointing out why LPA is so important. This of course presumes that your mum has capacity.

I hope that this helps you and that you find this Forum to be a great resource in terms of information, understanding and empathy.