Hello I am a new member

Merlyndog

Jun 27, 2024
I hope to find information and support from other members on this site, my husband has vascular dementia and Lewy bodies, he is in a very good care home close to me. He went from being a very active intelligent man to what he is today very quickly, we went away for a long weekend on a Friday and on the Monday he didn’t know me, wheres my wife he would say. Our doctor and the NHS resources were brilliant, I looked after him on my own all through the Covid lockdown but then he started to get violent imagining there were German soldiers outside with guns, although he was only a little boy in London during the war he had memories of this.
He is now double incontinent , he can’t understand the simplest things and he doesn’t know me, lately even in this heat he is freezing cold, is he coming to the end of his life. He was diagnosed five and a half years ago.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Merlyndog.

It’s so terribly sad to read your story. I’m glad your husband is well looked after but it must be hard for you. Your love gif your husband shines through.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum. You’ll find understanding and support here.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and another welcome from me also @Merlyndog to this friendly and supportive forum.

I am so sorry to read about your husband. It's so tough to have to witness the slow deterioration of a loved one with dementia. It is great that he is in a good care home - that, I hope, is of some comfort to you.
As for your question of is he coming to end of life, I would suggest you speak with the care home manager and his GP and discuss with them. From what you say, it is impossible to say as a distant person, but those who care, and look after him medically, should be able to give you some proper view.

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024
I hope to find information and support from other members on this site, my husband has vascular dementia and Lewy bodies, he is in a very good care home close to me. He went from being a very active intelligent man to what he is today very quickly, we went away for a long weekend on a Friday and on the Monday he didn’t know me, wheres my wife he would say. Our doctor and the NHS resources were brilliant, I looked after him on my own all through the Covid lockdown but then he started to get violent imagining there were German soldiers outside with guns, although he was only a little boy in London during the war he had memories of this.
He is now double incontinent , he can’t understand the simplest things and he doesn’t know me, lately even in this heat he is freezing cold, is he coming to the end of his life. He was diagnosed five and a half years ago.
Hello FRIEND,
Everyone here is super friendly and helpful, it has been an amazing lifeline for me recently.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If you can remember WW2 (1939-1945) then you're not doing too bad, it was a while ago now. Post Traumatic Stress even from that long ago could be a possibility is all I can think. K