Hello

Jakesmum

Apr 9, 2024
Hi, I'm Jakesmum I'm almost 78 and I was diagnosed with Alzheimers about six months ago, but I'm still awaiting the results of a PET scan to see if I have Lewy Bodies.
I cope well most of the time but frequently get confused, loose things or forget things.
My worry is that my husband refuses to accept that there's anything wrong, He was with me when the consultant gave the diagnosis, but afterwards told me to ignore it and get on with my life. When I get confused or ask for help he occasionally helps but he mostly tells me to think about it and sort it out and sometimes shakes his head and rolls his eyes as if I'm mad. I get upset and tearful and sometimes just cry.
Our only daughter lives 200 miles away and we have no other living family.
Thanks for reading this miserable outpouring.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome from me, such a shame we all have to meet like this. Keep smiling and posting, all here to listen. K

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Hi, I'm Jakesmum I'm almost 78 and I was diagnosed with Alzheimers about six months ago, but I'm still awaiting the results of a PET scan to see if I have Lewy Bodies.
I cope well most of the time but frequently get confused, loose things or forget things.
My worry is that my husband refuses to accept that there's anything wrong, He was with me when the consultant gave the diagnosis, but afterwards told me to ignore it and get on with my life. When I get confused or ask for help he occasionally helps but he mostly tells me to think about it and sort it out and sometimes shakes his head and rolls his eyes as if I'm mad. I get upset and tearful and sometimes just cry.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome from me too @Jakesmum

Your husband, and you, may be in a state of shock about the diagnosis, as that is common. In time he may come to appreciate the change and be more supportive.

I have to say that I think he's right about getting on with your life. Enjoy life while you can and exercise your mind as much as possible as that will help.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Hi Jakesmum, it may be that he has been told to try and not do too much to help. I often say to my husband ‘where do you think’ etc because I was told at the beginning that if you offer too much help the PWD would rely on that and then lose the ability so to keep as much going as you can. To some it might sound hard, but I’m doing it to help. Good luck.

Jakesmum

Apr 9, 2024
Hi Jakesmum, it may be that he has been told to try and not do too much to help. I often say to my husband ‘where do you think’ etc because I was told at the beginning that if you offer too much help the PWD would rely on that and then lose the ability so to keep as much going as you can. To some it might sound hard, but I’m doing it to help. Good luck.
Hello and welcome from me, such a shame we all have to meet like this. Keep smiling and posting, all here to listen. K
Thank you Ellie2018 and Kevinl,
I feel better for getting it off my chest. I do keep myself busy, I work 10 hours a week doing research for a museum, I run a Friday library/coffee morning for the over 60s and a monthly Saturday "tea" for a fell walker's group, the problem is I get the days dates and times mixed up! Jakesmum