Hello & Help?

holly1986

Jun 9, 2024
Hi everyone

My mum has mixed dementia and Alzheimer's. My dad died very suddenly two years ago and it has caused mum's condition to worsen quite rapidly.

Mum is angry all the time. Swearing, shouting, storming out of public places. In addition to this, she has taken to picking her skin to the point she is bleeding. Myself and my sisters are her carers. My sisters live at home with her (they work from home too) but mum cannot be left, even for a short time. We take her out with us, but it's getting to the point where her agitation is causing concern in public places. My sisters in particular have no life. They cannot watch a TV show without mum shouting over it or thinking she's part of the show. Our hearts are broken for our poor mum.

Mum already takes 0.5mg of Lorazepam 3 X daily. Nothing we do or say seems to calm her down. What can we do? We love our mum, we've already lost our Dad. It feels as though we've lost them both and we are heartbroken.

Can anyone please give us some encouragement? We feel like mum is going to be miserable for the rest of her life and it's the last thing we want for her.

-- Holly.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Hi everyone

My mum has mixed dementia and Alzheimer's. My dad died very suddenly two years ago and it has caused mum's condition to worsen quite rapidly.

Mum is angry all the time. Swearing, shouting, storming out of public places. In addition to this, she has taken to picking her skin to the point she is bleeding. Myself and my sisters are her carers. My sisters live at home with her (they work from home too) but mum cannot be left, even for a short time. We take her out with us, but it's getting to the point where her agitation is causing concern in public places. My sisters in particular have no life. They cannot watch a TV show without mum shouting over it or thinking she's part of the show. Our hearts are broken for our poor mum.

Mum already takes 0.5mg of Lorazepam 3 X daily. Nothing we do or say seems to calm her down. What can we do? We love our mum, we've already lost our Dad. It feels as though we've lost them both and we are heartbroken.

Can anyone please give us some encouragement? We feel like mum is going to be miserable for the rest of her life and it's the last thing we want for her.

-- Holly.
Oh Holly that’s heartbreaking for you.

When did your Mum last have a medication review? Dementia is a degenerative condition, so meds and doses will need to be regularly tweaked in order to keep up with escalating and new symptoms.

Might it be worth quietly asking her GP surgery to invite her in for a ‘routine’ review?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i was going to say the same, she may need something else in combination. does anything stop her making her skin bleed? their skin is so thin, i know my husband can have skin tears over nothing and bleed like mad even though he doesnt take blood thinners.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @holly1986 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of members who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your mum. I hope that by sharing here you will find comfort, understanding and also helpful suggestions.