Hello all - my mum has been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia.

razzlesue

Feb 20, 2014
Hello

My mum has been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia and an issue that has come to a head is the trouble telling time. Mum lives alone since my Dad passed away over a year ago. We are trying to keep mum in her own home for as long as possible, as advised. We have found gadgets for pill dispensing but the new problem is telling the time. Mum wonders around the house day and night and if unsure of the time will ring me or my brother. This can be the middle of the night, which we try and re-assure her is no trouble. I have placed large digital clocks around and have brought a talking watch and and talking pyramid but she doesn't look at any of these. Has anyone got any other ideas I could try please.

Auntiep

Apr 14, 2008
Midlands
Would an old type clock (with hands) seem more familiar, as digital is more modern?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Talking Point mobile app

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Hi razzle sue and welcome to tp. My mums the same about time and days she never knows what time it is. We bought a Hugh clock with time date month and year(to be honest it looks like it should be on a railway station ) but she still don't look at it. I think its just part of this horrible illness. Don't know what you can do about the phone calls. Sure someone else will be along that is in the same position. Good luck Linda x

legolover

Jul 25, 2011
West Midlands
I wonder WHY she wants to know the time? Maybe in her muddled state she is trying to anchor herself and make sense of what she is meant to be doing next. Does she have any kind of daily routine? The passage of time probably means very little to her. My MIL is much better on the days she goes to a day centre, as the day is structured for her. Another idea is for you to ring her during the day to prompt her, when it is time to do certain things....a lot of work I know.
Best of luck x

Kiwi.lewis

Jan 21, 2014
Hi there, my mum is the same with times of the day etc. I have found if she has done more during the day she sleeps better. But on her days when she sits on her own a lot, she can have bad days and is up and down like a yo yo in the night.
Her medication was becoming a problem, not only was she forgetting the time to take them, but she would end up taking too many thinking she hadn't taken any at all. I have now got a carer going in to see her and prompt her with her pills. Seems to be working. The weather hasn't helped while still being dark so early for them. It's a long time to wait for the next day to come. I am sorry you have this worry. It is not nice, hate this disease.

razzlesue

Feb 20, 2014
I wonder WHY she wants to know the time? Maybe in her muddled state she is trying to anchor herself and make sense of what she is meant to be doing next. Does she have any kind of daily routine? The passage of time probably means very little to her. My MIL is much better on the days she goes to a day centre, as the day is structured for her. Another idea is for you to ring her during the day to prompt her, when it is time to do certain things....a lot of work I know.
Best of luck x
Thanks for writing back sorry I didn't respond straight away - I'm new on this site and didn't know what to do! (still not sure) We find if we arrange anything in the day she then wakes earlier and dresses and waits by the door ready! She used to love reading and read a book a day. now although I've got her large print books I cannot get her to look at them. This means, apart from visits and church she is mainly sitting watching TV! I ring her early (about 7.30) to try to stop the night calls and my brother and I will either see her or call her again during the day. The mornings are getting much lighter now and this confuses mum and she gets up very early (she will not look at clocks). She lives in a village and although I've informed the Church and the Dr's are aware there seems to be no help available. Mum and Dad did everything together and although well known in the community there isn't a neighbour to look in on her. We are lucky to live close so we can help but I can't help feeling I'm doing nothing very well!!

Sarah31

Jun 11, 2014
Hi I'm new here too. Have you thought about one of the childrens sleep clocks. I had one for my toddler when he was getting confused during the early hours and will be digging it out to take to my dad. It has the time on it but numbers mean nothing to my dad but it does have a simple bright yellow sun in the day and blue moon in the night. You can set times for when the sun or moon come out. I know it's simple but I'm hoping this will help with my own dad. Maybe it could be some help to you too x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum can still read the time but seems unable to work out if it is am or pm. She will ask if 3 o'clock is morning or afternoon while the sun is pouring through her window.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb