1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Have I done the right thing?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Flake, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Flake

Flake Registered User

Mar 9, 2015
    Mum has not been eating /drinking very much the past 3 weeks due to extreme pain in her back - possibly after a fall. She spent a week in hospital with a urine infection and played down her pain. Shortened version - GP has been out again today, has found no evidence of a break but thinks she may have a small crack in her pelvis/back. As Cocodamol has not helped much he has prescribed low dose Morphine for three days to see how she gets on as she must get mobilised, then to consider a nursing home placement. The other option was a short term nursing home straight away, which I am not sure if my Mum would be happy with. Can I just ask for an opinion? :confused:

2. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Did the GP not suggest finding out why your mother's back is painful? Especially if Cocodamol isn't touching it.
    It seems a bit extreme to be thinking of a nursing home straight away but I wonder have you been considering it before this.
    Morphine can make dementia symptons worse sometimes but I hope it helps the pain.

3. Long-Suffering

Long-Suffering Registered User

Jul 6, 2015
    Sounds like she should have an x-ray to see if she has a fracture or not rather than just guessing about it.

LS

4. Flake

Flake Registered User

Mar 9, 2015
    I asked for an x ray when she was in hospital - it didnt happen. GP today said that if she has cracked a bone they wont operate. Carer been in tonight and said my mum is dizzy and feeling odd - lack of food no doubt. Such a worry :(

5. Flake

Flake Registered User

Mar 9, 2015
    GP suggested a short term nursing home to get my mum up and on her feet and to get more care and nursing. When I spoke to Mum tonight she said that was not where she wanted to be. It seems like a waiting game :(