Have I done the right thing?

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Mum has not been eating /drinking very much the past 3 weeks due to extreme pain in her back - possibly after a fall. She spent a week in hospital with a urine infection and played down her pain. Shortened version - GP has been out again today, has found no evidence of a break but thinks she may have a small crack in her pelvis/back. As Cocodamol has not helped much he has prescribed low dose Morphine for three days to see how she gets on as she must get mobilised, then to consider a nursing home placement. The other option was a short term nursing home straight away, which I am not sure if my Mum would be happy with. Can I just ask for an opinion? :confused:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Did the GP not suggest finding out why your mother's back is painful? Especially if Cocodamol isn't touching it.
It seems a bit extreme to be thinking of a nursing home straight away but I wonder have you been considering it before this.
Morphine can make dementia symptons worse sometimes but I hope it helps the pain.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Sounds like she should have an x-ray to see if she has a fracture or not rather than just guessing about it.

LS

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Sounds like she should have an x-ray to see if she has a fracture or not rather than just guessing about it.

LS

I asked for an x ray when she was in hospital - it didnt happen. GP today said that if she has cracked a bone they wont operate. Carer been in tonight and said my mum is dizzy and feeling odd - lack of food no doubt. Such a worry :(

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Did the GP not suggest finding out why your mother's back is painful? Especially if Cocodamol isn't touching it.
It seems a bit extreme to be thinking of a nursing home straight away but I wonder have you been considering it before this.
Morphine can make dementia symptons worse sometimes but I hope it helps the pain.

GP suggested a short term nursing home to get my mum up and on her feet and to get more care and nursing. When I spoke to Mum tonight she said that was not where she wanted to be. It seems like a waiting game :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo