Happy Times

Deb123

May 26, 2024
Hi

I’d just like to introduce myself and apologise in advance for the long post.

My lovely Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2020 she currently still lives at home with my amazing Dad who is her full time carer.

As a family we have spent the last 4 years coming to terms with this hideous disease, it feels like it’s always one step ahead of us, no matter how hard we try to catch up!

From time to time I’ve used this forum and I’m blown away by the depth of support, I can relate to virtually every one of your posts and it's both comforting and desperately heartbreaking in equal measures.

Last week I came onto the forum looking for some answers, ideas, support – I’m not even sure really what I was looking for (which is often the case) and every post I read hit home, so very hard that I had to turn it off, it felt like I was drowning in a sea of heartbreak and despair, and so the following morning I was thinking about the coping tactics I’ve used over the years and I wanted to share these with you in case it helped even just one other person

Early on in my Mums diagnosis I came across a lady whose Mum was much further along her journey than we were and she would relay happy, sometimes hilarious anecdotes of her Mum, these were always told with such love and warmth but also real hilarity that it made me realise that despite the fact that my Mum was changing we could still really laugh together, it’s not always easy because we know that if it wasn’t for this hideous disease these situations wouldn’t happen but also these are real memories and lighter, amusing memories which I know my Mum (without the disease) would find funny

This disease will not define the final memories we as a family have of my dear Mum, we will still laugh together and I know that my Mum would approve with all her heart

So come on in addition to offering support for those moments which are often too much to bear, let’s celebrate and share our happy times – let’s laugh in the face of this ******* disease, so in loving memory of Happy Helen and in the name of my lovely Mum, Happy Viv, let’s share the happy times…

So (and it’s not perhaps the best but it’s the most recent) we were in Tesco’s last week, my Mum loves to investigate all the aisles and discover new inventions such as Oxo stock cubes, we got to the checkout and she decided to properly march up and down through the checkout, with a salute at each turn, singing ‘Onward Christian Soldiers’ (no idea where that came from) the lady on the checkout joined in and sang along – she said it made her day, at the end of the performance (and it truly was a performance) my Mum smiled and said quietly to me, ‘I do it on purpose you know, just to see people’s reactions’

We can read what we like into that, but the simple truth is that in that moment we were all laughing and I have to hold onto that!

The other recent thing she has taken to doing is telling everyone who’ll listen that I knit her gloves (you would have to know me to understand how hilarious that statement is in it’s own right) but she got off the day care mini bus the other day and shouted, ‘this is Deborah, she’ll have your gloves ready next week’, then she turned to me and said, ‘they all like my gloves, so I’ve told them you’ll make some for them’…

Sending love to all of you, you are doing an amazing job! x

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi

I’d just like to introduce myself and apologise in advance for the long post.

My lovely Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2020 she currently still lives at home with my amazing Dad who is her full time carer.

As a family we have spent the last 4 years coming to terms with this hideous disease, it feels like it’s always one step ahead of us, no matter how hard we try to catch up!

From time to time I’ve used this forum and I’m blown away by the depth of support, I can relate to virtually every one of your posts and it's both comforting and desperately heartbreaking in equal measures.

Last week I came onto the forum looking for some answers, ideas, support – I’m not even sure really what I was looking for (which is often the case) and every post I read hit home, so very hard that I had to turn it off, it felt like I was drowning in a sea of heartbreak and despair, and so the following morning I was thinking about the coping tactics I’ve used over the years and I wanted to share these with you in case it helped even just one other person

Early on in my Mums diagnosis I came across a lady whose Mum was much further along her journey than we were and she would relay happy, sometimes hilarious anecdotes of her Mum, these were always told with such love and warmth but also real hilarity that it made me realise that despite the fact that my Mum was changing we could still really laugh together, it’s not always easy because we know that if it wasn’t for this hideous disease these situations wouldn’t happen but also these are real memories and lighter, amusing memories which I know my Mum (without the disease) would find funny

This disease will not define the final memories we as a family have of my dear Mum, we will still laugh together and I know that my Mum would approve with all her heart

So come on in addition to offering support for those moments which are often too much to bear, let’s celebrate and share our happy times – let’s laugh in the face of this ******* disease, so in loving memory of Happy Helen and in the name of my lovely Mum, Happy Viv, let’s share the happy times…

So (and it’s not perhaps the best but it’s the most recent) we were in Tesco’s last week, my Mum loves to investigate all the aisles and discover new inventions such as Oxo stock cubes, we got to the checkout and she decided to properly march up and down through the checkout, with a salute at each turn, singing ‘Onward Christian Soldiers’ (no idea where that came from) the lady on the checkout joined in and sang along – she said it made her day, at the end of the performance (and it truly was a performance) my Mum smiled and said quietly to me, ‘I do it on purpose you know, just to see people’s reactions’

We can read what we like into that, but the simple truth is that in that moment we were all laughing and I have to hold onto that!

The other recent thing she has taken to doing is telling everyone who’ll listen that I knit her gloves (you would have to know me to understand how hilarious that statement is in it’s own right) but she got off the day care mini bus the other day and shouted, ‘this is Deborah, she’ll have your gloves ready next week’, then she turned to me and said, ‘they all like my gloves, so I’ve told them you’ll make some for them’…

Sending love to all of you, you are doing an amazing job! x
@Deb123, have you seen the thread "another funny!! Dementia thing" ? There's a lot of funny posts about things our pwd have said and done x

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Deb123 and welcome to the Forum. This is a friendly community where you can share with people who truly understand, whether you are in need of support or wish to post about more lighthearted things.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Thanks for your positive post, @Deb123 !
What I've found is humour, like music and singing reaches the person challenged by dementia like nothing else. When my mum laughs at something on the telly, for instance, it's as if, at that moment, she doesn't have this awful disease.

BTW, Tesco is our second home and the staff there are fantastic with my mum.

Deb123

May 26, 2024
Thanks for your positive post, @Deb123 !
What I've found is humour, like music and singing reaches the person challenged by dementia like nothing else. When my mum laughs at something on the telly, for instance, it's as if, at that moment, she doesn't have this awful disease.

BTW, Tesco is our second home and the staff there are fantastic with my mum.
Hi Neveradullday! 100% agree, my Mum (and Dad) have always loved music and now more than ever we're all appreciating just how much music is helping, also it's uncanny just how many songs she knows the words to, she doesn't know what a microwave is but can belt out every Elvis, Connie Francis & Nat King Cole... song you can think of!
Glad to hear your Tescos is just as supportive, (I should tell them really)!
Thanks again x

Deb123

May 26, 2024
Hi @Deb123 and welcome to the Forum. This is a friendly community where you can share with people who truly understand, whether you are in need of support or wish to post about more lighthearted things.
Thanks Northumbrian_k, You're quite right, this forum is so helpful and supportive, it's taken a while for me to start using it (I'm not sure why) I think although you know that this is happening to so many other people and families you also kind of feel so completely alone and as though nobody else could ever truly understand the depth of what's happening.

About 18 months ago when it became apparent that my Dad was struggling and things had progressed I turned to the link worker, local GP, Social Services, local befriending groups, in fact anyone I could think of, I literally felt like I was trying to throw a line to anyone who would listen, but I never came here, I regret that now.

Deb123

May 26, 2024
Just is what it is, enjoy it while you both can. K
Hi Kevinl thanks for replying, you're right it is what it is (which is absolute ****) but yes we are doing our best to keep the memories coming, I hope you're also in a position to do this or whatever works best for you.
When my Mum was first diagnosed my Dad asked the consultant 'what do we do now?' and he replied 'go away and live your lives!' at the time I thought it was such a positive reply and good advice, over the last 18 months I've questioned his one liner reply and really wished he'd given more practical help and advice regarding groups, help, support etc, but on reflection perhaps he was right to say what he said.
I just feel that it's like being in a storm and sometimes you get acclimatised to the storm (or the storm quietens maybe) and then it hits you again with such force that you don't know what to do or which way up you are, perhaps it's during those times I wish he'd given more practical advice

Deb123

May 26, 2024
Hi Kevinl thanks for replying, you're right it is what it is (which is absolute ****) but yes we are doing our best to keep the memories coming, I hope you're also in a position to do this or whatever works best for you.
When my Mum was first diagnosed my Dad asked the consultant 'what do we do now?' and he replied 'go away and live your lives!' at the time I thought it was such a positive reply and good advice, over the last 18 months I've questioned his one liner reply and really wished he'd given more practical help and advice regarding groups, help, support etc, but on reflection perhaps he was right to say what he said.
I just feel that it's like being in a storm and sometimes you get acclimatised to the storm (or the storm quietens maybe) and then it hits you again with such force that you don't know what to do or which way up you are, perhaps it's during those times I wish he'd given more practical advice
Hi again @Kevinl I just wanted to add I'm so sorry, I've literally just read another post where you also commented and I now realise that both your wife and your Mum (who you cared for) have passed, I'm so sorry to learn that, and to say that the comment you wrote 'caring is hard but not caring is harder' is so touching - sending you lot's of courage x